PureAragonite Sand vs Southdown

fishforme

After not finding any Southdown Sand anywhere in the Cleveland area, I received a phone call from Pure Aragonite. They sell their sand for $12 a 40lb bag and if you buy four, you get one free. Southdown actually referred them to me. Has anybody used their product? Good? Bad?

D

diatom

Fish~
I believe it's the same product, packaged for aquarium at 4 times the cost....don't forget you have to pay shipping on top of that. That will cost you more then the sand probably.

@knight

it is the exact same sand, except it is a little more refined.
it does cost more, but is still alot cheaper than your LFS.

wally

I live in the Erie PA area right around the Lake from ya :) Anyway I could not find any either. I went with the "Quickcrete Playsand" That was very easy to find both at Home Depot and Lowes. I couldn't be happier with it. And 2.50 for a 50# bag its priced right as well.

ironreef

I know ppl who bought that sand and they are happy. its accually cleaner than SD . Any other stuff than sd,pa esv and the expensive LFS I wouldn't use. They come from quarry not the ocean.= not the same but they searve the same purpose just the color isn't to my liking

indy1

I purchased some "purearagonite" from a website. It is the exact same as southdown. It ships from N.J., so costs to PA. would be cheaper than to me in Indiana. I bought 5 bags (200#) and it cost like $90. E-mail me and I will give you the URL.
Indywilly@att.net
P.S. if you lived here in Indiana you can get it for $20 a 40# bag from a wholesaler here.
[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Indy1 ]

clownman

I'm not sure if I am allow to post ---- Link here, but there's somebody selling LiveSand there for cheap (at least last time I checked couple of days ago). Do a search under Home & Garden section, just use keyword "Sand" or "reef"
Good Luck
I also called Southdown and got a call from that company who offered to send 11-12 bags that I inquired about for 45 cents a lbs (didn't seem like a bad deal).
But I want to go to HD tomorrow and see if they will order a whole Pallet for me. I might sell the rest to reefers or just create a sandbed and play in the sand again :D :D