Purple Algae

ashersmom

My nitrites are at .5 right now because I had to get rid of red algae. LFS sold me red slime which got rid of it. Everything else they tested for was perfect. I have some on the LR, but not alot. I just didnt know if there is anything else I should be doing. My tanks is only about 3 months.

rebelprettyboy

if you dont have test kits u should buy some.
Beleive keep claicum, alkanity up and it should come in other parameters play a factor but I think those are the main 2

ashersmom

I have a test kit, but I trust my LFS more than myself. I thank you for your advise. But can you tell me how to keep those things up?

kellenr

Keeping your Calcium levels high are key. Along with your other param's regular. You can add "Liquid Calcium" to keep that level high or try this product I've heard a lot about, it's called "PurpleUp" (google it). As long as your Alkalinity and Calcium are prime your tank will start to develop it. It just takes a little time though.

kellenr

...one thing I forgot to mention. Be sure you get test kits for everything, never add anything to your aquarium before testing for it. A 'Reef Test Kit' usually has tests for the elements you'll need aside from your normal tests. Good luck!

prime311

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2625196
...one thing I forgot to mention. Be sure you get test kits for everything, never add anything to your aquarium before testing for it. A 'Reef Test Kit' usually has tests for the elements you'll need aside from your normal tests. Good luck!

Don't waste your money on a cheap test kit though. Its worth it to spend the 30$ or so on a good individual kits.

T

tizzo

If your parameters are all optimum, and as mentioned you keep your calcium around 400ppm and alk around 8 dKh, then if will take about 3 months to see spots of it on your glass and overflows.
And FWIW, I wouldn't trust any LFS with anything. Not test results, not premixed water, not RO water, advice... pretty much nothing.
Most of them use the cheapest test kits available. I tested my own LFS's water afte he told me all his params were in check. First his RO had a TDS of 100! Nitrates off the chart well over 75, and a specific gravity of 1.018... in their REEF tank!!!
If a store does use good quality test kits, then they will charge for testing cause those kits aren't cheap!
Get your own test kits. Learn how to use them. Learn what you need and how to get it.

prime311

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2625386
If your parameters are all optimum, and as mentioned you keep your calcium around 400ppm and alk around 8 dKh, then if will take about 3 months to see spots of it on your glass and overflows.
And FWIW, I wouldn't trust any LFS with anything. Not test results, not premixed water, not RO water, advice... pretty much nothing.
Most of them use the cheapest test kits available. I tested my own LFS's water afte he told me all his params were in check. First his RO had a TDS of 100! Nitrates off the chart well over 75, and a specific gravity of 1.018... in their REEF tank!!!
If a store does use good quality test kits, then they will charge for testing cause those kits aren't cheap!
Get your own test kits. Learn how to use them. Learn what you need and how to get it.

You can always ask. My LFS has an 800$ kit they use when they're not sure of the cheaper(200$) kits results. They do charge, but only if you aren't buying something. I've had my water tested a few times, but I never had to pay for it since my tank was finishing cycling and I just wanted to see if it would be safe for a fish. It really depends on the store though.