Purple Alge

beavis4040

Hello, not overly new but just had a quick question. i've recently upgraded to MH lights and I seem to be growing a very deep purple alge now. It started on the sand bed and some parts actually look like small patches of hair alge. tank is running for about 6mths. 75g. 100lbs LR 80lbs LS. It doesn't look like red slime so i think that's out. anyways just curious about it. thanks

reefdude37

Originally Posted by Beavis4040
Hello, not overly new but just had a quick question. i've recently upgraded to MH lights and I seem to be growing a very deep purple alge now. It started on the sand bed and some parts actually look like small patches of hair alge. tank is running for about 6mths. 75g. 100lbs LR 80lbs LS. It doesn't look like red slime so i think that's out. anyways just curious about it. thanks

I really dont get what your asking. Can you be more specific? Just trying to help

beavis4040

It's a purple algae growing on some of my sand and rocks. It looks like green hair algae almost but it's purple...just wasn't sure if anyone has had it as well,

pesci

I am having the same ptoblem with my tank. This purple stuff is growing at the rate that it covers the sand in less than 3 days. Is this normal and/or benificial?

ray28576

Sounds like it could possibly cyano, but I'm not sure. A pic would be a great help. Hope you find out what it is.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Beavis4040

What type of water are you using? I had all that stuffs going on before and they disappear over time. It happens in new tanks all the time. I'm setting up a new one right now and samething is happening. Nothing to be worried about. Just cut down your nutrient levels by doing water changes and you should be fine, but a picture of it would help us to identify it. :happyfish