Purple Coraline Alge turning white??

enomadra

I just noticed that some of my purple coraline alge was turning white :notsure: , and I wanted to know if anyone knew what this means :confused:
Amonia = 0.0
Nitrate = 0.0
Nitrite = 0.0
PH 8.1
Salinity = 1.025
Temp 79.5 Degrees
OH it is a 55 gallon 48" X 21" X 13"

fishkiller

I too have experienced this about a week ago, but it has stopped now that I added calcium. I thought I dosed for last week and I had not. I'm hoping this REALLY is the problem.

enomadra

I dose one teaspoon of Seachem Reef Calcium each day
one teaspoon of Reef Complete, A little Kent Marine ProBuffer dKH and feed Kent Marine ChromaPlex, and Kent Marine ZooPlex. I am cutting back on the calcium.

enomadra

My test kit is only 3 months old. I am using the kit shown below to test all the normal stuff like Nitrate, Nitrite, Alkalinity, and PH. Is this the wrong thing to use? If so what should I go with.
For Calcium I am using the Hagen Calcium test kit (it was bought at the same time).
Oh and all the number were taken right before I started this post.

Originally posted by enomadra
I dose one teaspoon of Seachem Reef Calcium each day
one teaspoon of Reef Complete, A little Kent Marine ProBuffer dKH and feed Kent Marine ChromaPlex, and Kent Marine ZooPlex. I am cutting back on the calcium.

Wow you're adding a LOT of buffers to your system . . . especially for one day. Also, and ALK of 190 means nothing to me . . . could you elaborate on this? Most people measure alk in meq/L or dKH.
What is your pH level . . . it has got to be well below 8.0 to hold that much calcium.
I don't know about the test kit you are using, but most people here rely on salifert. They are very reliable and accurate.
How are you dosing? Could you expand on exactly what you do each day?
If I were you I would stop the addition of all buffers and start doing water changes.

broomer5

enomadra
I'm not familiar with that brand of test kits.
I'm guessing that they read out in ppm of CaCO3 for calcium.
800 ppm CaCO3 would be equal to around 320 mg/L ( ppm )
Alkalinity reading of 190 ppm CaCO3 would equal around 10.64 dKH ( 3.80 meq/L )
Could you confirm the units your test kit gives you.