purple firefish

jenni620

can two purple firefish go in the same tank if they are added together? i know the yellow ones can, but what about purples? the tank is 40 gallons...thanks!

dinogeorge

Yes, but I would suggest you add two more instead of just the one. Sometimes when you keep only two of certain species, and firefish are among them, they have a tendency to fight. One is usually larger or bolder than the other, and the little guy gets picked on. But when you add a third, you change the dynamic. You have created a “pecking order” rather than a confrontational situation. The big one is now occupied with two and therefore does not mess with either. Sound strange but it’s what happens.

jenni620

hmmm...i tried that with the yellow firefish, and two ganged up on the third and picked on him until he died...he was always a lot smaller than the other two though, so maybe there was something wrong with him anyway. okay, maybe i will try three if i can find some that are all the same size. thanks!!

dogstar

IMO, Do not try three.....These dartfish can be kept in groups as long as they are young and not yet mature enough for reprodution....( or as see in LFS, young or if mature, stressed and not yet settled enough to start mateing and claiming territory )
Once they become mature and comfortable in an apropriate eviroment, they will form a pair for mateing and the pair will not tolerate others around their home.....only in larger systems might more than two work long term....choose their tankmates carefully, they are very timid and shy and will hide and not feed if in with more aggressive fish. Often jump out of tanks for the same reasons.
Think about it and learn from your own experiances and continue researching...thats the best way to become an responcable hobbiest...

jenni620

ok, i will try two then. thats what i figured anyway, but i thought i would ask. the tankmates are 1 ocellaris clown, 2 pj cards and 1 starry blenny. i don't see any problems with aggression from them. thanks

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by Dogstar
IMO, Do not try three.....
Once they become mature and comfortable in an apropriate eviroment, they will form a pair for mateing and the pair will not tolerate others around their home.....only in larger systems might more than two work long term....choose their tankmates carefully, they are very timid and shy and will hide and not feed if in with more aggressive fish. Often jump out of tanks for the same reasons.
Think about it and learn from your own experiances and continue researching...thats the best way to become an responcable hobbiest...
You are talking about them pairing off and not tolerating others, but that is ONLY the case if there are two males and one female. If its two females and one male, three males, or three females, the problem won't exists.
You are basing this on the assumption that one will be male and one will be female. Can you describe to Jenni how she should recognize if the one she has now is male or female, and what to look for when she goes to purchase its mate. That would be helpful...and interesting as well.

dogstar

Its not clear to me that jenni already has one because " if they are added together "
I may have missed where it was said that theres already one in the tank....
One can not tell the gender on them unless you see them mateing....
and maybe you did not understand what it means when I said when mature.....a mature FM or a mature male most likely will not tolerate others of the same gender in too close of quarters....
I suggest only two with the hopes that they are young a will eventually pair....if the two are older and of the same gender then most likely they will fight also...it like most choices in this hobby its a gamble...but getting three will increase the odds of a pair but also increase the odds of a death IMO...
The story about the three yellow firefish ( maybe they where red, no matter ) showed what most often happens with three....jenni will have to live with being responcable for results....not me.

dallas612

i always thought that firefish were group fish. i guess my idea of two normal and two purple in my 90 wont work.

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by dallas612
i always thought that firefish were group fish. i guess my idea of two normal and two purple in my 90 wont work.
That ARE group fish. You can look up firefish on a number of sites and get info that says they stay in pairs, and then another site says they live in groups. My suggestions are based on my actual experiences and not what I read or have heard. In my home I have 5 firefish in my 90 and 4 purple firefish “one recently died” in my 75. The only time I have ever had problems with them is when my group got down to only two fish. That happened only once and when it did one bullied the other until I added more to the group. Then they got along fine. If you want to add a group of these guys, then my suggestion would be to do it in at least a group of 3.
Good luck.

dogstar

georg....how long have you had the new ones together ? Do they all shool around together or most have their own territories...got pics ?...got all those tanks, must have a camera.
Breeder's registry states it takes around two years for for them to start breeding...
also..
"" Dive and field research observations cite most members of this family occurring naturally in pairs as adults and often in colonies as juveniles. With adequate space
and feeding opportunities, two or more individuals of the same species can usually be kept in an aquarium. "" said by Bob Fenner...
Even this site under fish sells, states they prefer to be kept in pairs...
Im not saying your claims are false...just all my research indicates pretty much what Ive posted...BTW, these are not my fish, this is a pair in the wild...I just like the shot.

jenni620

GOOD LORD!!! I was just trying to ask a simple question!!!!! First of all, I know that I am RESPONSIBLE for my actions and what goes on in the tank. I AM researching by ASKING for others opinions...Anyway, no, there are not ANY in the tank as of yet. I learned my lesson the hard way having three yellow or red or whatever you want to call them in the same tank. I will only add two, so as not to cause problems in the future. Thank you very much for your advice, opinions, critiques or whatever. I really didn't think this needed to turn into a huge debate. Sorry if I sound grouchy, but I think that some people's answers (Dogstar's) were a little condescending. I am not totally new to the hobby, but I DO still have questions, and I just wanted some advice. Anyway, thanks. If I actually do get two purple firefish, I will let everyone know how it goes.

jenni620

two of each? like two purple and two yellows? I don't think you are supposed to mix the two colors...at least that's what i have heard. i don't have any of the yellow ones anymore; that's why i wanted some purple ones. i need some color in my tank!

My husband and I were just discussing that today...We have a purple fire fish and we love it, we would love another. But what I read on Dr. Fosters is that they are not naturaly an agressive fish but they are territorial and will fight with their own kind unless they are a mated pair...So we decided against it, but if you decide to try it I would love to know the outcome...please keep me posted. Thanks

dinogeorge

I have never mixed the purple and red, so I don't know if they get along or not. My guess would be that they don't.
Both of my groups sit in one area of their respective tanks. They don't swim around, but sort of hover in the same spot. When I feed, they break apart and rush to grab the food. But once the feeding is done, they go back to schooling.
The only camera I have is an HD television camera. I could shoot you some footage, but you’ll have to wait a few days for the file to download.
Whahahaha
Jenni, please don’t misinterpret the debate between Dogstar and I. In order to share ideas, we have to input both of our experiences. His/hers are different from mine in this case, but at the end of the debate everyone learns something new. I have read Dogstars responses on other posts and have never seen him/her say anything condescending to anyone. I can’t speak for him, but I’m sure he did not mean to offend you.
Glad you asked the question because it opened the door for more discussion. And BTW, it sounds like you are going about things the right way in making your decisions. Great to know there is more person out there practicing responsible fish care!!!

jenni620

Thank you. I didn't misinterpret the debate between you two at all. It just sounded to me like some of his answers to ME were a little...questionable. I guess that is the problem with typing...you can never really tell the person's tone or attitude. Oh well. Thank you!

dogstar

jenni, I agree with what jeorge said ( thanks dino, a He I am ) and I hope you understand that we are all ( well most ) here to help and learn about this great hobby....Theres really no cut and paste answers to most any of the questions asked about it so thats is why there are often debates about how or what , ect...on this site...I wish there was such easy answers to it all myself as well....
I am sorry if you took my post as you said....I was trying to give you my thoughts in comparsom to others....explain things in a way that perhaps would help you and others, understand rather than confuse you or others...I must say that I had no issues with you or your post or anything you said....I always try to be to the point so as to get them message across clearly and not cause farther confustion....rather Im right or wrong...I do want my message understood....
I would appreciate if you could quote or explain what I said that bothered you or as you say " questionable and condescending ", those are pretty strong words to me for someone that is just trying to help you...Im not asking so that I can argue with you but so as to help me understand so that maybe I want make the mistakes again or explain better what I meant.....
If you dont want to then I wont hold it agaist you...hehe

jenni620

well, like when you said "jenni will have to be responsible for the results...not me" That kinda hit me the wrong way...Not to be rude or childish, but DUH! Of course I am responsible for what I put in my tank! Also, when you told me to "think about it and learn from my own experiences, continue researching..." I just thought that sounded like you were talking down to me. I am not completely new at this hobby, and I understand the importance of research; that is why I posted in the first place, instead of just doing whatever I wanted. Again, sorry if I misunderstood; like I said earlier, that is the problem with typing out answers; you can't read someone's tone or attitude. No worries.

dischirm

Jenni,
Just to let you know, right or wrong, I have 3 purple's in my 100 gallon tank and they all live in the same small space and do not fight (yet?).
Best of luck to you!

puffer32

I had a red and purple added at the same time into my 150, assumed it would be ok because of the tank size. And it did work for several months. Then the purple started chasing the red into the rocks, then vice a versa. They took turns chasing each other. The red eventually jumped out of the tank. I believe he was chased to the top by the purple because he normally stayed near the bottom while the purple ruled the top half.