purple-ish algae??

linzbotner

Has anyone ever seen purple-ish algae? Seems to be taking over my live rock. I don't know if it is harmful or not. Do I need to get rid of it? I'll try to attach pics.

marsciguy

Well Without A Pic I Could Not Say For 100% Sure, But I Would Say Its Coralline Algae (Very Good Stuff) Just Means The Tank Is Becoming Mature, Most People Keep It. Unless You Find It Revolting. But In My Opinion I Would Keep It, You Might Start Seeing Light-Purple, Pink And Green Of This Type.... You Will Notice That Coralline Algae Is Splotched Like A Spot Of Purple Paint Most Of The Time. Coralline Is a Calcium Depositing Algae.
Now It Can Be Something Else,
Like Cyanobacteria ( Also Known As Blue-green Algae ) Its Really Not An Algae Per Say (Kinda Is , Kinda Isn't) It Looks Like A Film Of Skinny Tissue, It Comes In Multi-Range Of Colors Like Red, Green, Blue-green, Black, Brown, Rusty Orange And So Forth. Cyanobacteria Is Easy To Rub Off A Rock Or Gravel (By Waving Or Brushing It)
This Is Usually A Sign Of Bad Lighting Types, Excessive Nutrients, Nitrates, Phosphates And Not Enough Current Flow In The Area Of Growth. Killing It Requires Regular Water Changes, Substrate Cleaning, Filter Changes And A Protein Skimmer Might Help
If You Can Post A Picture, That Will Help ID
But I Have A Strong Feeling Its Coralline!