Purple Linkia Question

jayrascoe

Hi All-
I made the mistake of buying a purple linkia from my LFS.
I thought i had done my research on it, a website selling them said that they were hardy creatures.
Once I bought it, i looked at some old posts on here that told me, otherwise. I was really disappointed with my purchase. Many starfish buyers said that their linkias lasted a week or two, until grey matter started coming out of the starfish (most attributed it to a salinity difference or bad acclimation practice), and that grey matter seems to be the sign of a dying starfish. The general consensus was that linkias are almost impossible to keep in a newer tank, and a bad buy, especially for a novice such as myself.
I did a poor job of acclimation, and in a one month old 45 gal tank.
Ok I'll get to my question.
This beautiful starfish excreted about a half inch of brown matter from the end of each of its tentacles. It is active, and is currently hiding in some LR.
Is this the grey matter I'm hearing about, or is my star just excreting waste? Where do starfish excrete from?
Thanks for your help!

ukcats

Sorry to say, I think he is going to Linkia heaven. Evidently a crowded place. I have one there too. Mine lasted 3 days. Then fell apart!

jayrascoe

I've had mine for a week.
I'd like to know for sure that it's not just expelling waste.
I've heard that grey matter comes out of the starfish when they're dying, and that legs fall off. T
This one still has its legs, it is solid purple and intact, and some brown goo has come out of the ends of its tentacles.

cyslyde

on starfish the mouth and anus are teh same, I think UK may be right... keep watching him, you may get lucky, but i know that my roomate said mine had a milky substance come from it's legs, about two days after that it was flat and it's arms were only half the length they used to be, but it never split.. it hung out in my tank for a month after that, then one day i came home to see it disentegrating on the LS