Purple lobster - anyone have one??

drakken

I got a purple lobster a few days ago and haven't seen him since. I even looked for him after only the moonlites were on for a while.
Do they ever come out?

I added a lovely purple reef lobster about 3 or so years ago. I NEVER see him. Not in the day, not in the night. NEVER. The only way I know he is still in there is that I see his molts once in a while. Too bad too, because he is a striking looking fella.

mossad327

I think I'm the only one who's gotten lucky with one of these. I guess it helps though with a small 40B.
My lobster's taken a liking to a cave right next to one of the side glasses. I always see him and can even direct feed shrimp,etc. to him. The only extended amount of time when I didn't see him was when my bristle kicked him out and he moved out to a cave in the back middle of my tank.
The cool thing about this cave was that it was in a piece of live rock, I didn't make it. Because of this, his little hideout had three entrances and sometimes I could see him scurry between all three of them.
Try to set up a suitable place for him next to the glass. Hopefully he'll move in.

jrpage

Originally posted by Drakken
So I guess I should have just taken $25 and rolled it up and stuck it unter a piece of live rock.

LOL

leboeuf

I meant instead of putting it under a rock, you could have smoked a $25 rock. JK
I have smoked a crab and lobster, very delicate method. Even buried them with hot coals under sand for a couple of hours. Sounds crazy, but better than any Reb lobster I've ever eaten at.

tyr-sog

I thought these guys wern't reef safe? Don't they et like a foot big or am I thinking of a different lobster? One that has huge thick white whiskers.

drakken

Originally posted by Tyr-Sog
I thought these guys wern't reef safe? Don't they et like a foot big or am I thinking of a different lobster? One that has huge thick white whiskers.

From what I've read they only get to be about 5 inches.