purple lobster

otto13

I just purchased a 2 inch purple lobster. Some sites say they are safe around inverts and some say they are not. I was looking for anyone that has them with snails and small fish. What is your experience with them?
I was also thinking of using dental rubber bands on his big claws, forcing him to use his smaller secondary claws. These are the claws he uses anyway when feeding. I wonder if superglue would work since people use it on live rock.
Hopefully none of this will be neccessary.
Thanks

oceanists

Originally Posted by otto13
Why?
its inhumane , what if somebody permantly melted your thumb , pointer and index finger together , and told you to use your secondary ring and pinky finger

toughguy80

It should be alright. I had 1 for years and he got about 5". He never bothered any fish that I saw. I have heard other stories though were people have owned monsters. Luck of the draw I guess. If it bothers your fish just return it.

otto13

Thanks ToughGuy80. That is kinda what I was thinking but just need a confirmation.
However.......
Originally Posted by Oceanists
its inhumane , what if somebody permantly melted your thumb , pointer and index finger together , and told you to use your secondary ring and pinky finger
Give me a break! Oceanist you should leave this hobby if feel that is inhumane. People are feeding live food to their fish all over this post. If you arent, you are feeding frozen food or ground up fish meal for flakes. All brutally murdered so you can enjoy watching prettier fish in the privacy of your home. When I asked if I should use superglue, I meant would it work rather than if it was ethical.

oozy

hey.
heres what i think...
you bought a critter to enjoy, why whould you restrict its natural functions, this is also its only defence against hungery tank mates...
anyway, if you superglue this little guy, wont the glue mess with the molting process, or just molt off all togeather?
i would say leave him be, but do as you will...
goodluck
-oozy-

otto13

This guy is top of the food chain in this tank so there is no problem with predators. However, you make a good point about the molting process. It would probably be worse if I used rubberbands too.
Thanks. I know there was a reason I wouldnt want to do that.

angelsrock

i have one right now and he doesn't bother anybody, he has his own cave he made in the live rock and that's where he stays. i also spot feed him every couple of days and give him a piece of krill.

1journeyman

Give me a break! Oceanist you should leave this hobby if feel that is inhumane. People are feeding live food to their fish all over this post. If you arent, you are feeding frozen food or ground up fish meal for flakes. All brutally murdered so you can enjoy watching prettier fish in the privacy of your home. When I asked if I should use superglue, I meant would it work rather than if it was ethical.
First off, few people feed live feeders to their fish.
Second, feeding fish is neccessary. Gluing a lobster's claws toether because you didn't research before you bought it isn't.
We all strive to provide the best habitat possible for our pets... if you don't like looking at the ethical side of things then maybe you should step back for a few...

fishieness

reef lobsters are safe from everythign i have heard. Just spot feed them. The claws were not realy disigned for catching food. Feed him meaty foods and i dont think you will have any problems. The only problems i have heard with lobsters is them tumbleing rocks. Suposedly they can get destructive. although your species gets to be only like 6 inches.

otto13

I have some frozen krill for starters and will monitor him around the small gobies and snails. So far so good.
Now for another bleeding heart.......
Originally Posted by 1journeyman
First off, few people feed live feeders to their fish.
Second, feeding fish is neccessary. Gluing a lobster's claws toether because you didn't research before you bought it isn't.
We all strive to provide the best habitat possible for our pets... if you don't like looking at the ethical side of things then maybe you should step back for a few...

Few people give live feeders to their fish????? What planet are you living on? I guess that is why ghost shrimp are constantly out of stock. I guess the frozen food was made out of green beans. So I want to put some dental rubberbands or superglue on a lobsters front claws. It wont hurt him or effect his quality of life. It is better than them dying slowly from nitrate poisoning in some beginners tank or at the LFS.
If you look at the earlier post, I decided not to do it because it might effect the molting process.
If you look at the original post, I mentioned researching it.
"Few people feed live feeders to their fish" That's funny. You are living in Imaginary Land.
This post has been edited 10 million times...... The original was way too harsh.

1journeyman

I guess the frozen food was made out of green beans. I guess millions of fish werent killed for flake food....
I have looked at the ethical side of this and I can live with it. You however are living in Imaginary Land.
You do know the definition of "live feeder" don't you?
I'm glad you can live with it. From your obvious lack of research before your purchases I'd guess many of your fish don't. I'm sure that's ok with you though.
While you've got the glue out I'd recommend gluing your tank shut. Your fish will be better off without you.
Bleeding heart, hardly. Educated aquarist, yes......

otto13

Why are you only bringing up live feeders? If you didnt already know, there are more live food sources sold than "live feeders". I didnt realize that it is okay to feed one live animal and not another. Your point is pointless.
By the way, how many fish have you killed getting to this level? Just wondering.
DENILE!!!!!

1journeyman

Huh?
Anyway, the point is...
You said people "all over this post" are using live feeders. That's false. Educated folks know that live food is rarely the best option...
You didn't research your purchase.. now you want to cripple your pet... Come on.. banding or gluing an invert's claws?
I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but that doesn't mean I'd stand by and watch the neighbor's kid torture a poodle. We feed fish frozen foods by neccessity, you're contemplating crippling for convenience. I hope you see the difference.
No "denial" here.

otto13

The lobster only uses these claws for defense and attack. Since he is the top of the food chain, it is hardly crippling him.
By the way, you are the only one who has been talking about "live feeders". Please read the post carefully before answering. I was quoting you.
Also, as previously stated, I wasnt going to do this because it might effect his molting. Once again. you did not read the post.
I noticed you wouldnt submit how many fish died under your care. I didnt think you would.
Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but that doesn't mean I'd stand by and watch the neighbor's kid torture a poodle. We feed fish frozen foods by neccessity, you're contemplating crippling for convenience. I hope you see the difference.
No "denial" here.

You wouldnt sit by and watch a kid torture a poodle but you would kill a few to figure out how to raise them properly.
I dont mind you voicing your opinion but really dont be hypocrytical. That is the only thing that is setting me off.

hagfish

I have read the post and I still want to say that glueing the lobsters claws together or binding them in any way is cruel. It is cruel because it is intentional and unneccesary. As for food, whether live or not it is a part of life anyway. Don't you think that if the fish was still in the ocean it would be eating food? And it's not like the fish provides a nice fancy last meal and some time alone for the victim to spend with it's family when it eats the food in nature.
As for us having fish that have died, that is a different subject. We aren't purposely doing something to harm the fish typically. Certainly, binding an animals claws together isn't helping it any. Even if they are just for defense, he doesn't realize he's the top of the food chain so he's going to prefer to have his defense available anyway. I would actually wonder if it would be too much stress for him to handle.
I just can't believe that you even thought of it. And that you keep on supporting it with such passion.
Although, I've got a psuedochromis who is pretty mean. Maybe I'll take him out and glue his side fin to his body. That ought to slow him down and even the odds a little. Thanks for the idea

otto13

Regardless if your intentions are good, you are still killing fish. Stop kidding yourself.
Once again, I am not supporting this. Someone at the very beginning told me it would effect their molting process so I decided it wasnt an option. It is only the hypocrites that cant admit this hobby is cruel and unusual to begin with that are upsetting me.
By the way, why arent you guys at the grocery store protesting the rubberbands on those lobster's claws?