Purple Lobster

purpletang1

I went to the LFS the other day looking for something to put with my dogface puffer. I saw that they had a nice sized purple lobster and thought maybe I could but it in there. The guy working there said he had been in the reef tank and had eaten a purple tang and a yellow tang. You think there is any truth to this?

see money

how big do the purple lobsters get?? i was thinking about getting one for my 30gal because i hear they are reef safe and small....

anonome

I have a 3" one in my 125 reef. I've had him over 3 yrs. Hasn't really grown that much, just his claws have gotten larger. He is safe with coral, and fish. No problems, as far as going after fish, etc. They are opportunistic though, so any fish, snail, or crab that gets too close and is too slow to move away will be eaten. I have very few nassarius snails, lots of shells though. LOL> My mandarin has a chunk out of his tail, I am almost certain it came from the lobster.
Mine has a cave that is his, and will defend it from even my large tangs. But, I wouldn't say that he is aggressive. (meaning trying to kill fish)
In my opinion though, they are not really good in a full reef with tons of rock, they hide all the time, except for when the lights are out. I see mine maybe once a week, if lucky. And only for a brief second, very shy.
So, if you really want one, I wouldn't put it in a tank with too many caves, etc. Other than that they are easy to take care of.

I would agree that I doubt the purple lobster killed any type of tang. However, lobsters like crabs are oppurnisitic. However, mine eventually started to come out during the day when he realized that food was more available during the day. If I remember correctly they get about 5" Max.

anonome

I have a pic of my shy purple lobster.....forgot I actually got a pic of him.
Here he is coming out for a look around....even if only for a brief moment. He only comes out when the actinics or moon lights are on, seems to be part vampire.........Hates bright light!!

chasar

I too would think you would be fine to add. I had one in a 46 Bowfront FOWLR. I think we had it for three years or so. In the begining it would come out at lights out and walk around the tank angainst the glass. I would see him during feedings. After time I think that it just stayed in its rock and fed off what was available. I actually moved him several times and would forget the was around until all the rock was out of the tank and there he was. Until of coarse this last move when we realized he was gone. It would be safe with you fish, however hide most if not all of the time. It is somewhat interesting to sit in front of our tanks looking for that certain thing that we know is in there, we just can't see, and then there it is! Rewarding.