purple monster?

paintballer768

Hmm Im not too sure if its a purple monster, the growth pattern is a bit odd. Maybe someone else can chime in for a positive id.

steelytom

I don't think so. I just saw a rather large colony yesterday and have been eyeing them online. The purple monster has less defined coralites and has a uniform color. Still a nice looking coral. Give it a cool name and you can sell 1/2" frags for $100, lol.

the misfits

Sorry, but that is definitely not a purple monster. Here is a picture of a Tyree Purple Monster. They are extremely slow growing coral.

mr_x

here's a closeup of the coral. doesn't look a whole lot different than what you have there.

as for the growth pattern, i've seen 2 pieces from the same colony look all together different in 2 different tanks.
as far as the color goes, this was the very bottom of a colony about 3 times this size. the shaded areas are the ones that have lost the purple.
i don't know if they will ever color back up, but i think any new growth will be purple.

the misfits

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2802015
here's a closeup of the coral. doesn't look a whole lot different than what you have there.

IMO they look completely different. I think the coral you have posted looks more like a acropora nana. I am certain it is not a Purple Monster.
The purple monster is a validia.

mr_x

ok. how about this one then. this was taken in the dark with a flash, so the color is not on. it's actually greenish.-

Who cares if its a purple or not, its nice looking piece. It has some nice purple to it. How long have you had it? Does it need to color up, or is that the color?

mr_x

the second one i know isn't a PM, but i was wondering if someone could give me an i.d.