Purple Rimme Monti has a few white patches. Advice needed.

kiefers

I have a very nice, well established purple rim monti. This evening while feeding the sun corals I noticed this 1/4 inch white patch on the cap. It is on the dish itself about an inch from the edge. Looking at it closely with a magnifying glass it appears that the flesh itself is done. I have no batteries in my camera for a pic at the moment so you will have to use your imagination.
My wife lost her whole colony due to this a few weeks ago. Within one week her entire monti's were completly wiped out and nothing was found that would do this. Keep in mind that we DO NOT switch things back from one tank to another due to the risk of cross contaminating. (You never know)
I did a close inspection of the monti and scanned the other two just in case and did not see any nudis underneath the caps.
I did use the useful search engine to look into the history and found nothing.
Is there any treatment I should be aware of that would fix this before it gets out of hand?

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393523/purple-rimme-monti-has-a-few-white-patches-advice-needed#post_3501488
Any softies in the tank? Could there be a waterflow issue at that particular point?
thanks for the reply Bang.
Yes I do have some softies in the tank. The flow is good. I have a powerhead on each side of the tank. The P.H.'s have been there for two years so I ruled out the flow.
I did do some late night recon and found what appeared to be a nudi and removed it from te monti. I am not convinced however this was indeed a nudi but I do not see any advances in tissue loss as the wife has. I measured the white patch on the monti the night I noticed it an again this morning and it doesn't seem to be getting ay bigger.
I removed the rock that the monti is on and did a lugol's iodine dip and allowed it to sit in the dip solution for 5 to 10 minutes then did a rinse and put it back into the tank.
Any other thoughts?

bang guy

If you found a pest on it then just sit tight and see if the spot advances. In my experience dead spots grow back rapidly once the issue is resolved.
Don't eliminate the idea of a dead spot just because nothing has been repositioned for a couple years. A lot of corals grow toward the flow and often cut off the flow to other parts of the structure. This is most common with Birdsnest but it almost always happens with large M. caps eventually. We just cannot generate the natural turbulence in a hobby tank.

reefr

give it higher flow and light, and dip it in Lugols iodine solution. I had this happen to my red monti cap, and half of it was brown and it seemed to be dying. I dipped it for about a week, increased flow and light, and after about a month, the patch that was once half of the coral ihas now decreased to maybe 10% and the coral is covering it a little more each day.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFR http:///t/393523/purple-rimme-monti-has-a-few-white-patches-advice-needed#post_3501561
give it higher flow and light, and dip it in Lugols iodine solution. I had this happen to my red monti cap, and half of it was brown and it seemed to be dying. I dipped it for about a week, increased flow and light, and after about a month, the patch that was once half of the coral ihas now decreased to maybe 10% and the coral is covering it a little more each day.
Dipped a couple of times now with the iodine. The flow is almost directly on the monti and they are all placed high for max lighting. Thanks for the ideas

spanko

Something settled on it to cause the tissue loss in that area or something is picking would be my guess. Got any urchins in the tank? What fish are in this tank?

kiefers

Thank you bang. Your thoughts on this do mean alot to me. I surely hope you had a nice thanksgiving.
As for the flow in my tank, I have two 750's a the top edge where the moti's are. They are hooked up to the smart wave to alternate the flow.
I just got home from being out of state and will inspect the speciman in the morning.
will try and shoot a pic for you soon.
Thanks again

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/393523/purple-rimme-monti-has-a-few-white-patches-advice-needed#post_3501902
Something settled on it to cause the tissue loss in that area or something is picking would be my guess. Got any urchins in the tank? What fish are in this tank?
Well hello there Mr. Henry!
There was nothing settled on the coral, I did check for that.
I don't have any urchins, and the fish list is as follows
Humahuma trigger (5-6 months)
Royal Gramma (almost one year)
2 true percs
Multi colored angel fish
mandrine
I hope that you and yours had a nice Thanksgiving!

spanko

Twas a great holiday. Hope yours went well also. Does either the Mandarin or the Gramma perch on the coral?

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/393523/purple-rimme-monti-has-a-few-white-patches-advice-needed#post_3501994
Twas a great holiday. Hope yours went well also. Does either the Mandarin or the Gramma perch on the coral?
No sir they don't, not that I have witnessed anyways however hahahahahaaaaa
I have noticed little bite marks on the edge of the monti. It was like little bites taken out of a potato chip. I kept a close eye on it for awhile and the trigger was taking bites out of it like it was a lys potato chip Lol....... (can't just have one...hahaha)
Since then the monti has recovered well and with those bites taken, new plates have formed from it.
Our holiday was relaxing. We drove to Ohio for a couple of days and had dinner with family and friends.