purple tang question

E

evilfishtank

I am buying a 90 gallon tank this weekend and it is coming with a purple tang.. i have been reading up on them and they are aggressive.. not sure if it is just towards other tangs that look like them or in general towards all fish. if so... are they ok to put with say triggers or maybe a dog face puffer, if they are fine in an aggressive tank i will go that direction but i read that most triggers need to be in a carnivorous tank while the purple tang is mostly a herbivore. thanks in advance.

jackri

Mostly just aggressive towards tangs of the same shape.
Should be fine with triggers IMO.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3074111
Mostly just aggressive towards tangs of the same shape.
Should be fine with triggers IMO.
I agree. I love purple tangs and have always kept them with triggers. Some of the nastier triggers will go after the tang's fins though. A grown PT is going to be cramped in a 90 (IMO, a 4" tank isn't long enough, the PT needs swimming space) and most grown triggers will also make for close quarters; increasing chances of aggression.

sanchoy

I have a purple tang in my predator tank setup. The tang holds his own against the Trigs and wrasses. Some triggers also eat seaweed sheets so its a benefit for them to. Purple tang is one of the most prized tangs.. very nice..

reddhead

Originally Posted by sanchoy
http:///forum/post/3087827
I have a purple tang in my predator tank setup. The tang holds his own against the Trigs and wrasses. Some triggers also eat seaweed sheets so its a benefit for them to. Purple tang is one of the most prized tangs.. very nice..
My triggers LOVE the algae sheets as well! I have a Huma and a Niger...I can barely get the clip in the tank before they are trying to eat it!

stoss

The purple tang should be fine with a trigger. they can pretty much hold their. My durgeon trigger loves algae sheets too. So if you have a trigger, give him the algae sheets so he can have a balanced diet.

deejeff442

ive had my purple for probably 8 or 9 yrs now.
i had him in my 90 for 5 of those years no problems.
he was around 3 inches when i got him.
now hes a bit over 5 inches and in a 225.
i added an 8 inch achilles to the tank and he came out and bit him on his side.the achilles just turned and looked at him and that was the end of that.
yea triggers love algea,in fact all my fish eat it including my 12 yr old damsel.
one time i was putting the clip in the tank and my bluethroat bit my finger so i jerked back and he came out with my hand and hit the floor.
he was fine though.

salt210

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3122509
one time i was putting the clip in the tank and my bluethroat bit my finger so i jerked back and he came out with my hand and hit the floor.
he was fine though.
what! I get up to the tank and my bluethroat hides

deejeff442

wow i have to try and trick mine to the other side of the tank just to get the clip on the glass.
he aint scared of anything.
they have some cool eyes on them ,he watches and follows me as soon as i turn the corner.