Purple tube worm

wattsupdoc

Can anyone tell me anything about this tube worm? It's really beautiful, bright purple and it's tube is very soft and mushy feeling. The tentacles are about 3" long. The whole thing is quite large itself. I got it today and need to know whatever I can about it. I'm finding nothing at all on it. My LFS didn't know ANYTHING about it except it's a tube worm.
All help and comments are appreciated.
Charlie.

brainrush

Looks more like a Tube Anemone. They sell them on this site, but they don't say anything about them. Look in "Inverts" section to the left.
I think I've heard they do not require strong light like regular anemones, but other than that I don't know about them.

seannmelly

All it is is a tube worm aka tube anenome. I have 2 and they don't require much. It will catch the food I feed my fish every once in a while but, I don't physically feed it. Here's a couple pics of my two. One is light purple like yours, and one is dark purple.
oh yea,
P.s. they will eventually bury their (poop or dryer lint) looking tube into sand or under a rock like yours. I acquired mine w/ out the nasty looking stuff, but from customers, and IME they will bury themselves so you only see the pretty part of them!!

jerthunter

I am probably wrong but it looks like a normal feather duster (which is just a worm living in a tube, this tube worm) to me. If I am right it shouldn't need any special care, it just filter feeds so moderate flow should be fine and there isn't any lighting requirment.

fishieness

absolutly positivly a tube anenome. everything sean said was correct, but i jstu have one thing to add.... they arae a notorious fish eater

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by seannmelly
All it is is a tube worm aka tube anenome. I have 2 and they don't require much. It will catch the food I feed my fish every once in a while but, I don't physically feed it. Here's a couple pics of my two. One is light purple like yours, and one is dark purple.
oh yea,
P.s. they will eventually bury their (poop or dryer lint) looking tube into sand or under a rock like yours. I acquired mine w/ out the nasty looking stuff, but from customers, and IME they will bury themselves so you only see the pretty part of them!!
Yes it is exactly like you'rs. Thank you so much. I thought that was the case as far as care but just trying to be sure. And it is really brighter purple than the pic shows. Definetly a great addition.
I hid his ugly part behing the rock, so when it bury's itself it will be really cool then.

seannmelly

I am sorry but I am not Sean, I am the other half Melly. No we have not lost fish to our tube anenomes. IMO and IME, I've never had an anenome whether tube, LT, carpet or w/e eat a fish. IMO, they only way they would be able to get ahold of a fish is if the fish was weak enough to not get away. I know anytime a fish goes by our tubes or the tubes see a shadow or feel a "weird or different" current, they close up. I don't agree that they are notorious "fish eaters." Maybe they are, but I have had both for as long as I've had this tank which is over 7 months. I have a few "lower level" burrowing gobies i.e. yellow watchman and diamond goby that go by, near, and on the tube anenomes on a daily basis w/ no ill effects. If there are weak and/or sick fish in your system, I would not be suprised if the tube anenome eats them, but as long as everything is healthy(fish wise) you should have no problem.
Melly*

fishieness

ohhhh! i get it! it is sean n melly. as in sean AND melly. i thought someone's name was Sean N. Melly..... and i thought that was an odd last name. sorry about that

seannmelly

Originally Posted by fishieness
ohhhh! i get it! it is sean n melly. as in sean AND melly. i thought someone's name was Sean N. Melly..... and i thought that was an odd last name. sorry about that

LOL! Very good, I think you are one of the few that have figured it out! That's why it says "reef couple" under our user name because we have a 125gallon reef, and well...we are a couple. lol. No problem guys