Purple-up coralline accelerator

perchpsk

Anyone ever use any coralline accelerator prduct before? How fast does it work, and is it worth buying??? I saw an ad for the Purple-up kind. Any good or a waste of money???

carshark

i have had nothing but good luck, no problems, as far as water quality etc.. why do you say "I wouldnt buy it"

jmick

I doubt it’s worth buying, a lot of these types of products are worthless. I dose with Kalk and the coralline in my tank grows really fast—it’s almost a nuisance.

carshark

Originally Posted by Jmick
I doubt it’s worth buying, a lot of these types of products are worthless. I dose with Kalk and the coralline in my tank grows really fast—it’s almost a nuisance.
this is more of a statement i can agree with, i only used one bottle, and look at my rocks. i stopped using it once I saw results, because it will occur naturally down the road..

reefnut

Personally I don't understand how it works. One part is liquid calcium... understand that... the other part is a "10 micron aragonite powder" that is supposed to dissolve in the system. What causes it to dissolve?????????
At any rate, I have been against this stuff because I don't understand how it could work but if it truly maintains your calcium AND
alkalinity levels then I see no harm in using it.
Value wise it doesn't make sense IMO
Purple-Up at $15 for 16oz
B-Ionic $14 for 64oz (does the same thing but in a 2-part additive)

drew2005

I started using this stuff 3 days ago. I put a capful(5ml) in every day(46 gallon). It says it immediately raises dissolved calcium levels. My calcium level has not gone higher than 340. How long does it actually take for it to raise? I dont get it.

reefnut

lol, good question. IMHO your best bet is to get some superbuffer (Baking Soda) and some calcium chloride (Kent Turbo Calcium, etc.) and use these products to get your levels up. After they reach your desired level start using B-Ionic or Kalk mix.
If your calcium is 340, what is your alkalinity?? and what is your Magnesium??

carshark

I would not recommend using purple up to raise your calcium. as it does contain calcium, by no means is it a recommended calcium supplement. half of what the bottle states is more marketing than anything else. To be honest I have never broken down the chemical compound of it. I just know what results it has produced, and how my levels have been pretty steady while using it. and nothing toxic has been a result from it. It is ultimately your choice, and i am not a member of their marketing team or an employee of their company. just sharing my experience when using it..

mudplayerx

kalkwasser for the win!
My coraline grows slowly though :( I've noticed that it is REALLY thick and beautiful in the shaded areas of my tank, but not so much in the lighted areas. I think the metal halide inhibits coraline growth if that is even possible.

hurt

mpx-I would also vote for Kalk. Since I began dripping it, I now have to scrap my tank weekly to get rid of coraline algae on my tank walls. I also feel the metal halides do slow the growth down. Before I got MH, I used to run 440w of VHO and coraline grew even faster than now.

1journeyman

LOL.. I'm seeing just the opposite in my tank.
My tank is seven feet long. On the right half I have 2x150wt HQI 20,000k XM's. (Two poor to buy the other two lights for the left side.. maybe in a month)
Over all the tank I have NO and VHO's. My coralline is growing more under the HQI's.
Tank is 6 months old. First starting seeing noticable coralline growth about 3 weeks ago. Now it is beginning to grow on pipes, glass, rocks etc.

mudplayerx

Dunno why mine grows so slowly. Alkalinity, calcium, and ph are all fine. It grows really fast on the glass, but slowly on the live rock.

reefnut

IME coralline does much better under medium lighting... under 400w MHs in my 110g I get slow to no growth in the high lit areas and lots of growth in the lower lit areas. My 55g has great growth (much better overall) under PCs and the water chemistry doesn't touch that of the 110g.
mudplayerx, have you tested your phosphates?? Phosphates can have a huge impact on calcification.
carshark, what do you use to maintain your calcium and alkalinity??

drew2005

Originally Posted by ReefNut
lol, good question. IMHO your best bet is to get some superbuffer (Baking Soda) and some calcium chloride (Kent Turbo Calcium, etc.) and use these products to get your levels up. After they reach your desired level start using B-Ionic or Kalk mix.
If your calcium is 340, what is your alkalinity?? and what is your Magnesium??
Last i checked my alk was 3.31 and magnesium was 1350.(Salifert) That was last water change. I havent checked them since i started with the purple up. Im not actually using the purple up to raise calcium level. Just from reading the bottle i expected it to go up a little and it didnt.
Reefnut - I saw the Kent Turbo stuff at my LFS in 2 different forms. Powder and liquid. Which should i get?

carshark

IME coralline does much better under medium lighting... under 400w MHs in my 110g I get slow to no growth in the high lit areas and lots of growth in the lower lit areas. My 55g has great growth (much better overall) under PCs and the water chemistry doesn't touch that of the 110g.
mudplayerx, have you tested your phosphates?? Phosphates can have a huge impact on calcification.
carshark, what do you use to maintain your calcium and alkalinity??
Seachem Reef Calcium

reefnut

Originally Posted by drew2005
I saw the Kent Turbo stuff at my LFS in 2 different forms. Powder and liquid. Which should i get?
The powder... it's stronger than the liquid.
carshark, what about alkalinity??

carshark

The powder... it's stronger than the liquid.
carshark, what about alkalinity??

kent marine alk....superbuffer..

hurt

My tank is seven feet long. On the right half I have 2x150wt HQI 20,000k XM's. (Two poor to buy the other two lights for the left side.. maybe in a month)
Over all the tank I have NO and VHO's. My coralline is growing more under the HQI's.
The only thing I could possibly think of is that you have 20k's. I run two 250w 10k XM's which have much higher levels of par than a 20k does. On my IC ballasts-250w 10k XM's put out 530 par, while on the same ballasts 20k XM's will put out just 270 par. I also run 2 110w VHO super actinics which give me around 13/wpg on my 55g. I know my coraline now (MH and VHO) is nothing compared to what it used to be under VHO's only.