Purple Up

becky913

I am looking for opnions on the product called Purple Up that is supposed to accelerate the growth of purple algae. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

lion_crazz

I would recommend against it. There are way too many cases of the product shooting your calcium level through the roof (many times, up to 600-650 ppm).

perfectdark

Purple up is basically the same as dosing calcium to your tank. So, my first piece of advise would be to test your calc if you havent already done so, post the results too. Also test your alk and magnesium levels and your pH. If they are off there maybe another reason why and dosing may not be your best first option.

m0nk

I think purple up is pretty much calcium and iodine. If you want to get your coraline to spread quicker there are 2 good ways:
1.) put a rock that has tons of coraline growth in the path of a powerhead; the flow will help it spread.
2.) scrap some off of the glass or a rock and let the scrapings go in the flow of a powerhead.
Maintain good lighting, flow, and calcium levels, and it will grow.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Becky913
http:///forum/post/2462650
What can happen if the calcium gets to high?
ultimatly it can cause a crash, but first you would notice a "snowing" effect in your tank. When calcium gets too high it spontaniously crystalizes carbonates and drops them out of solution.

sh2000

I've bean dosing with purple up for a month it might help that I have 30-35 corals that eat up calcium...when I dose some the water turns whiteish and cloudy for about 10 min then all gets normal been doing alot of calcium tests every week or so and it still remains low 400 high 500 so in that regard it's ok...my Alk is around 11.2 dkh. I haven't noticed any huge difference in the month I've been dosing I have some rocks with purplish coraline algae on it before I started doisng and some have a lightish pink hue on them...in conclusion this item has not accelerated the growth of coraline algae in my tank...I plan on scraping some of the algae off one of the LR that ahs it and going with the advice above for it to spread via the power head.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2462755
I've bean dosing with purple up for a month it might help that I have 30-35 corals that eat up calcium...when I dose some the water turns whiteish and cloudy for about 10 min then all gets normal been doing alot of calcium tests every week or so and it still remains low 400 high 500 so in that regard it's ok...my Alk is around 11.2 dkh. I haven't noticed any huge difference in the month I've been dosing I have some rocks with purplish coraline algae on it before I started doisng and some have a lightish pink hue on them...in conclusion this item has not accelerated the growth of coraline algae in my tank...I plan on scraping some of the algae off one of the LR that ahs it and going with the advice above for it to spread via the power head.
Part of your problem could be your magnesium level. Dosing calcium without testing or knowing your magnesium level could be as benificial to your tank as dumping it into the toilet.

nycbob

i used it for a 3 weeks long time ago. i cant say whether it was purple up, but my coraline algae really took off shortly after that. now i regret using it bc its everywhere.

saltn00b

if you want corraline , just get good water parameters, good lighting, and at least one rock that has some corraline on it (preferrably). to hasten it even more, just shut off all pumps and gently scrub the corraline on the rock you have letting the spores float around your water column for ten minutes or so, then turn everything back on. do this every day.

sh2000

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2462847
Part of your problem could be your magnesium level. Dosing calcium without testing or knowing your magnesium level could be as benificial to your tank as dumping it into the toilet.
Just got A Mag. test, what's a great level for a RT with lots of corals, I also have the additive of Mag. to dose if I need to increase the level, Im assuming its all ok since the alk. is 11.2 and the calcium has been from 400 to 500 for 6 months 1/2 of coral lost outs 36.. thanks.

J

jrthomas40

i have used it and never had any problems with calcium spikes...my calcium is usually around 460-500...i used 1 bottle to help get my coraline going and now my tank is puple, i wouldnt use it all the time but just to get some started i dont see the problem....after the bottle is up use lugols or kent iodine and add some Magnesium every now and then

D

dennis210

In most cases the best way to get good coraline algal growth is PATIENCE!
Most of the time people wanting more coraline growth just haven't let the tank come to equalibrium. This is longer than cycling. You have to have stable parameters within ranges of normalcy. pH - 8.2 / 8.3, zero amn/nitrites/nitrates, calcium in the 420 - 460
range, alk in the 170 - 200 ppm CaCO3 (10-12dKH). As stated above very good flow across a rock with coraline will then help spread it.
Also once you begin getting it you will also begin weekly scraping of your glass. It won't just grow on your rocks ya know!!!
Purple up additions without testing can through off the interrelationship of Alk/Ca/pH.
Only add to your tank what you can test for.

emm0909

Becky, Go into the nubies forum and into the helpful threads thread. There are two in there about calc, mag, and alk. They are a good read.
When your calcium gets too high your alk drops to stabilize the calc. The loss of these two creates calcium carbonate. This causes the snowing effect. It can actually pile up on your rocks.
I have used purple up but to be honest you should probably just let the coraline take it's course. If you start messing with those parameters you may cause for deeper problems. If you do have issues with those parameters remember that a good water change will always solve problems.

bellanavis

I had trouble keeping my calcium up, no matter what I did, then I used this, and it worked, and when I stopped using it, my levels went back down.

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2462647
I would recommend against it. There are way too many cases of the product shooting your calcium level through the roof (many times, up to 600-650 ppm).
yup did it to me an its taking a long time to get it down still after many water changes I am still at 500

sh2000

When your calcium gets too high your alk drops to stabilize the calc. The loss of these two creates calcium carbonate. This causes the snowing effect. It can actually pile up on your rocks.
Can you go in to detail as to what is a snowing effect and how to get rid of it and what to do if you have it...my levels are ;
Cal-450
mag-1180 at sal. 1.026 just added some Mag.
Alk- 8.6 was at 11.2 but I guess dropped a bit added some buffer
PH- stable at 8.2

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2463815
Can you go in to detail as to what is a snowing effect and how to get rid of it and what to do if you have it...my levels are ;
Cal-450
mag-1180 at sal. 1.026 just added some Mag.
Alk- 8.6 was at 11.2 but I guess dropped a bit added some buffer
PH- stable at 8.2
Your levels are fine. The percipitation is calcium that has crystalized carbonates and drops them out of soulution. This will look as though your tank is snowing, it will also throw all your water chemistry levels off the chart. Alk, and pH for sure. If you have the snow effect routine water changes with stable premixed SW will be your first step.

eaglephot

I used to use it with no problem. I would dose every other day. My coraline did seem to grow rather fast as I used it. I stopped using it because I changed my salt to Reef Crystals which has calcium in it. When I changed salts and used Purple Up, my calcium was very high. So, I gave the Purple up up. I didn't really need it anymore. It did its job and covered my rock with coraline.