Purple Up

sac10918

I dont know if its okay, but I used purple up as my tank was finishing off its cycle and before I added any corals, fish, etc. I think it may have helped too because my rock looks fantastic and has lots of purple coraline. I dont know if I would feel comfortable putting it into my tank now that it is all established and full of life, but I think I would definately use it again while curing live rock....

geoj

Each tanks supplementation needs are different because of bio needs and up keep practices. Purple Up is an all in one and you can’t maintain balance with it. Dose Calcium, Alk, and Iodide separately and you can get the effect that Purple Up intended over long term. The more water changes you do the less you will see any unbalance when using Purple Up.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/2465698
Each tanks supplementation needs are different because of bio needs and up keep practices. Purple Up is an all in one and you can’t maintain balance with it. Dose Calcium, Alk, and Iodide separately and you can get the effect that Purple Up intended over long term. The more water changes you do the less you will see any unbalance
when using Purple Up.
Good point. I change 30 gallons from my 135 every week. I have no use for Purple Up anymore because I am getting everything my tank needs from the salt mix. However, when I was changing 30 gallons once a month, Purple Up worked for me.

bragru

Two questions about the use of Purple Up:
1) Is it ok to dose every day with this product?
2) What is the best way to introduce calcium manually to your system?

nycbob

do not dose everyday. i'd say 1-2x per week at most. and always test the day after. like i said b4, i only used for 3-4 weeks in the past. i added perhaps a capful every 50 gallon.

geoj

Originally Posted by Bragru
http:///forum/post/2468486
2) What is the best way to introduce calcium manually to your system?
Purple Up
1) Is it ok to dose every day with this product? You will run in to a balance problem between Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium as magnesium and the Alk buffer is used up.
2) What is the best way to introduce calcium manually to your system? The simplest way is water changes. With some knowledge you can use a powdered calcium additive and buffer. You do it just like mixing a batch of new saltwater. You must test Alk and calcium and add the buffer the first day and the calcium the next if the Alk is up where it should be. Don’t over dose or you will windup back where you started!

eaglephot

Originally Posted by Bragru
http:///forum/post/2468486
I dosed every other day. People will say that is too much. I never had a problem. I would dose every three days or so. I think the back says one cap per 50 gallons.

mie

What if you have things in your tank i.e clams, corals that require calcium? How much should you dose at that point?

nietzsche

first purple up is not going to all of a sudden make coralline algae appear.
yes, it is a safe product AS LONG AS YOU CHECK BEFORE DOSING AND CHECK AFTER DOSING.
if you have anything that eats up calcium, including clams, then purple up would be good way to add calcium, even though it might be expensive in the long run. you should also be checking other parameters like ALK and MAGNESIUM. all of them are important
just dont go by what the bottle says, make sure you test for calcium before and afterwards.