purple-up

E

eric b 125

does this stuff really work? i've never been able to grow coraline algae. given i havent had strong lighting until now. what is it exactly that coraline needs to grow?

lorene

I cant honestly say I have much faith in it myself. I have been using it for several days to try to bring up my calcium levels and to get rid of my cyano to no avail. I will think long and hard next time on spending my money on snake oils without running it by everyone on the board....JMHO

big

Good water prams (calcium in the proper levels, not overdoing it like Purple Up can).....and at least a small amount of it somewhere in the tank and time are the keys........ If there is none at all you can see, either a rock seeded with it of scrapings will accelerate the growth.
I have shown this end shot of mine before (i should be embarrassed)....... For many of us the day comes when we are not ever sure we like the stuff anymore....... It becomes a pain in the............

bender77

I wish I could get rid of the stuff. I've never done anything special and it grows like a weed in all my tanks not matter what the light, as long as there is some

pezenfuego

Sure it will works...under proper conditions and only if there is coralline in the tank to begin with. There is no indication that it does not work. However, if you do choose to use it, you will NEED to monitor your tank parameters closely because you can use too much and cause a crash.

E

eric b 125

thanks for all the replies. i'm not going to bother with it then. i have a bunch of rocks with a little coraline on them, i'll just let it do its thing. i added 50lbs of base rock a month ago and i hate the way it stands out. i guess time will change that.

big

Don't worry about the base rock changing it will.. I think many folks don't realize that base stuff is just as good as Live Rock once some time passes..... Do a picture record ......You will enjoy looking back years from now.
Here is my seeding rock from years ago followed by a shot of the same rock years later (now stood on end)with the GSP's little Zoa's and Torch growing around it...

xcali1985

I used it in my 55 have an 80 now and don't use it. If you do your water changes weekly with good lighting it will grow on its on. In my tank its a bright green first then it turns to a lavender color.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3157323
I use purple up and have had great results....
A lot of people do and it is perfectly fine to use. But it has been known to cause crashes, so test your parameters to make sure it isn't boosting them too much.

geckoxp

I use it once every other day with no ill effect so far and it has really boosted the coraline algae growth in the system...I test about twice a week and my water tests right in the range it should for calcium. I do not use any other supplements right now. Maybe lucky idk but it seems to work good so far.

btldreef

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3157381
A lot of people do and it is perfectly fine to use. But it has been known to cause crashes, so test your parameters to make sure it isn't boosting them too much.
I'm anal about my water quality/parameters. I do not use Purple Up every day. I usually use it for a few days when I add new rock just to "boost" coraline growth. I think people have issues with it when they don't do frequent water changes, don't stay on top of testing their parameters and just add too much. It's a very small dose for a fairly large volume of water.

trouble93

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3157021
Sure it will works...under proper conditions and only if there is coralline in the tank to begin with. There is no indication that it does not work. However, if you do choose to use it, you will NEED to monitor your tank parameters closely because you can use too much and cause a crash.
Also it will push Magnesium and Strontium levels out of wack that can lead to other problems down the road. doing water changes and good lighting and time as stated above will aid in growth.

trouble93

Originally Posted by Lorene
http:///forum/post/3157006
I cant honestly say I have much faith in it myself. I have been using it for several days to try to bring up my calcium levels and to get rid of my cyano to no avail. I will think long and hard next time on spending my money on snake oils without running it by everyone on the board....JMHO
This shouldn't be used for either of these reasons.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by trouble93
http:///forum/post/3157722
This shouldn't be used for either of these reasons.
I agree. Nowhere does the product claim to do anything for cyano; in addition, while it may raise calcium levels, that is not its intended purpose.

chub

I used it once didnt help at all, after almost 4yrs I have very little coraline alage. Iv e stated using another salt mix maybe that will help.

lil.guppy

Since my salt already has calcium in it I wasnt able to use this. I purchased salt without the calcium so I could add the purple up and the stuff took off within a couple weeks. Keeping the calcium, salinity, and temp stable is also important.