Purple Up

chappy

Does anyone have any experience with "purple up" ? ( coralline algae accelerator) ?
Can this have adverse reactions with any Seahores you may have in a tank?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy http:///forum/thread/387328/purple-up#post_3407274
Does anyone have any experience with "purple up" ? ( coralline algae accelerator) ?
Can this have adverse reactions with any Seahores you may have in a tank?
It is little more than calcium. This is important...calcium should be between 400 and 500 too low and coraline won't grow, nor will it grow if calcium it too high.
So before you dose with purple up...check your calcium level...ONLY use purple up if your calcium is low and don't add anymore if the calcium gets up to 450.
Overdosing calcium is not good for any critter...there is a warning to not raise it too fast as well.

chappy

Ceto ( Godess of the sea) and Kelpie ( water horse), names that the kids voted on, will be here first thing Tuesday morning. Both are females and we are looking forward to have the additions.
I will keep you posted, and yes Pictures
. I will be asking more and more quaetions as time goes by.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy http:///forum/thread/387328/purple-up#post_3407284
Ceto ( Godess of the sea) and Kelpie ( water horse), names that the kids voted on, will be here first thing Tuesday morning. Both are females and we are looking forward to have the additions.
I will keep you posted, and yes Pictures
. I will be asking more and more quaetions as time goes by.
2 females huh???? I THOUGHT I had 4 females...what I landed up with were 3 males and 1 female.....So ....LOL....good luck

btldreef

Be very careful with Purple Up. Dose less than what is recommended, as it does also contain Iodine.
As someone who uses it, I can tell you that it's fine to use, IF you test your tank and use about 1/2 the recommended dosage that is printed on the bottle.

novahobbies

Yeah, I've used it. It does what it says it will do, but it's little more than a calcium supplement designed to deliberately send your calcium into overdrive for people who don't usually test what they dose. IMO a good 2 part calcium/alk solution with proper testing will do the same thing.