Purplepuffer

angelfish

Hey Megan,
I've been wondering how is your tank doing? I've read several months ago that you had a puffer and a scooter. Do they get along real well? Just wanted to know how yours is doing since I want to add one more fish and I have a scooter. And what kind of puffer do you have? I want to add either between a puffer or cowfish.
Thanks
Angel

Angel, My puffer and my scooter are no longer in the same tank. My puffer is a spotted sharpnose, and she would always pick at the fish in my community tank, i.e. bleeny, clowns, eat my shrimp and snails. (She was very docile when she was young, but after a while she picked a new gang out and seemed to like the tough kids better) Now she is in a 12 gl with a royal dottyback. My blenny is doing wonderfully, I just got some new rock that was full of goodies and he had a terrific time with it. Thank you for your inquiry!
~~Megan

angelfish

Megan,
I read in a book that the sharpnose puffer is the smallest of puffers and more peaceful. I'm sorry that she didn't remain docile in your tank. How large is your main tank? I also have a royal dottyback which was introduced in the tank yesterday. Is yours real aggressive?
Angel

My dottyback isn't so aggressive, he just looks that way with his sharp teeth. I also read that sharpnosed were the more peaceful, she wasn't that agressive, she a very strong swimmer and I guess I couldn't give her enough space in my 25 gl. When she ate a fire shrimp and attacked my clown and blenny, that is when I moved her over to the 12. She has a great personality though. She plays chase with my finger across the glass and likes to jump through the bubbles let off by my air pump. I also think that part of the problem might have been that her and the dottyback were in the tank together for months before I added any other fish, and she just didn't want any more friends. Who knows! How is your tank doing? Are you glad that you got a scooter blenny?
~~Megan

angelfish

My tank is doing wonderful and I am so glad that I did purchase the scooter. The scooter has run of the entire bottom of the tank along with the crabs. I started to worry last night when my banggai cardinal was eyeballing her. I'm not to sure if it was a territorial thing or what but the scooter is doing great at this time. I got the dottyback this past week and read that they were somewhat aggressive, however, I have yet to see that because the dottyback stays hidden most of the time. I didn't realize that they had teeth so I'll watch for that. I do want a puffer or a cowfish but hate to put it in my display tank and have a fish or two missing due to the puffer or the entire tank go belly up if the cowfish gets spooked. Maybe I will just get a few more blennies so my one blenny won't be alone. Thanks for asking about my tank. Do you just have the 25 and 12? How often do you change your water?
Angel

Yeah the 12 and 25 is all that I have in the salt, my mom and sister have some fresh water ones. I try and clean my water every two weeks, but this week I am having to wait another week because I have to take care of these adorable kittens that someone just threw in a parking lot and I have to bottle feed them every four hours. I really don't know much about cowfish, but the puffer didn't eat fish really she would just pick and nible on their tails, and I just hated for the other fish to have to get hurt. I am sure that you will pick the right thing to do.
Let me know if you get any other blennys. If they work well together, I might get a few more myself!!
~~Megan

angelfish

I am going to the lfs today after work to order a variety of blennies. I would like to have a least two or three scooters, one bi-color, and one midas. I think they would add some more character to the tank. I am still debating on the puffer. I really wanted a dog-face however I hear they like to eat smaller fish and maybe the blennies would be the first to go. Don't want that to happen. As far as the cowfish, several people at the lfs have said that they are not toxic but reading on the net says otherwise. I would rather have all the details on this fish before I lose any favorite fish to someone not knowing the facts. Sounds like you have a lot on your hands with the kittens. I hate it when people just abandon innocent animals that have no control over life. I hope you find good homes for them. I just take care of my small dog and two tanks. If you know of any good sites to get good info on fish let me know. Thanks
Angel

Wow it sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with your new additions! What kind of dog do you have? Mine is a Cocker Spaniel. I also have three other cats the 5 fish tanks, and an iguana. I volunteer at a no kill shelter that fosters baby animals that are too young to be tested for disease and vaccinated. One of the kittens is going to a friend of mine (she is helping me) and the other I will probably give to the shelter, if I can't find a home for it,or if my parents won't let me keep it! My friends call my house a zoo because I have so many different kinds of animals (our bird and rabbit recently died), but because they get to understand how to take care of the animals and understand how great they all can be, many of them themselves have gotten in the more exotic animals giving this adorable animals great homes. It makes me very happy that I could enlighten so many peoples lives. What kind of job do you have? I have been trying to find what occupation would best suit me once I am out of school, and I would like to know what you do and whether or not you enjoy it? Thanks!
~~Megan

angelfish

Wow, I'm impressed. How do you find any time for school. I'm a banker and also going to college to get my computer science degree. I have a chihuahua, two tanks, and a betta fish although I used to have 5 dogs, 2 cats, and a ferret(which passes away 2 years ago). I really loved that ferret. She was so sweet. I'm so sorry about your recent loss of your bird and rabbit. Did they die of natural causes? As far as a career, I would say stay away from the banking industry unless you want to go into business. I've been in banking for 9 years and in college for 5. I enjoy banking, however; it does interfere with my education at times. By the way it sounds like to me in your house you should become or work for a vet. Unless, if you are proficient on the computer or are interested in the computer industry then go into computer science. The jobs are endless in that field and the income is wonderful. I've got several friend in the computer business and are making a great living. When are you going to go to school and have you decided where?
Angel

I would like to go to school in either New Mexico, Wyoming or Montana. I really wanted to be a Vet, but I am kinda not into the whole look at blood stuff, but I think working for a vet might work. I am a senior in Texas and I should be graduating with honors. My friend that goes to a private college around here is studying to be an accountant and is working towards his masters or something, anyways its a six year course and he only has three down. I was beginning to think that I would like to go into animal conservation or something, probably the right thing will fall into my hands, I have weird luck with that.
I am sorry about your Ferret, all of my relatives have at least one, we are the only one without one because of the cats. Our rabbit was sick and our bird was natural, a parakeet that died at 11, nice and old! I am glad that you enjoy what you do. I feel so bad for people who do not enjoy their job and must return to something they hate every day.
~~Megan

angelfish

I say do what you feel you would get the most enjoyment. The thing about my ferret Lazy is she would jump on the back of my Lhasa Apso and ride him. I laughed so much that my dog got a complex. As far as being a vet why not try working at a vet's office to see how much you can stand. If the blood gets to be too much then consider something that's affliated with animals such as a marine biologist or something.
Angel