Putting salt directly in a reef tank

fishkid2

Not saying I do this, but what would happen to the live stock if you just put the salt directly into the tank to get the sg at the right level?
I was just wondering since the directions on the salt say not to do this and I just want to know what negative effects would happen to the fish, corals and inverts in the tank.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by fishkid2
http:///forum/post/2647676
Not saying I do this, but what would happen to the live stock if you just put the salt directly into the tank to get the sg at the right level?
I was just wondering since the directions on the salt say not to do this and I just want to know what negative effects would happen to the fish, corals and inverts in the tank.
If the salt landed on corals, it would burn them.

reefkprz

chemical burns from concentrated flakes of elements hitting live animals, severe parameter fluctuations, osmotic parameter change, redox would plummet, and more.

spiderwoman

Also because the salt won't dissolve evently and the aggitation of water in the tank is most likely not as good as you would have in a mixing bucket.

reefereric

+1 on everything said. Watch for this happening with salt creep too. That can cause burns when it breaks off and falls in.