putting sand in my tank???

corbin1234

well im finally taking everyones advise and getting rid of that dreaded crushed coral-my only question is if i have already cured live sand, will i have to take out all my inhabitants and let my aquarium cycle again?

S

shark bait

No but i would dump the sand in to a 5 g bucket and pour some of your tank water in to it. Slosh it around and dump the water, do it 2-3 times and once it is clear you can add it, what can happen even cured live sand can get cloudy, and piss of the tank and even the fish can get sufficated by the fallout and or air bubbles. Also forces a water change so not a bad thing to do anyways.

corbin1234

alright then i have decided to get uncured sand and put all my coral and my fish in my friends huge tank until its completly recycled and cured. My question for all of you is what is the best type of sand? i want to have white sand that is pretty small. any suggetions

jacknjill

any kind of aragonite sand. i personalyl like the sand a little bit bigger than sugar sized because when it is that fine it flys everywhere in the tank until it finally settles.

nomad

Agramax (sp?) from Petsmart is very white and just large enough to not give you a sandstorm if a PH drops down, it will just get rearranged. Rinse it throughly several times with fresh water first (no point in wasting SW), doing the last rinse with saltwater.

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by Nomad
Agramax (sp?) from Petsmart is very white and just large enough to not give you a sandstorm if a PH drops down, it will just get rearranged. Rinse it throughly several times with fresh water first (no point in wasting SW), doing the last rinse with saltwater.

If it is fesh water, r/o only, but would the fresh kill off the good bacteria, and make the live rock not so live? :notsure: