putting them back into the wild

david12

hi i have a i was wondering if u got a fish from a pet shop then later on u didnt have room for it any more or just didnt wanna kept in any more can u put it back into the oncean

debiseif

I have found that my local aquatics stores will take them (sometimes for credit) as long as I give them the heads up I am coming.

cranberry

Oh please don't put anything back in the ocean. First of all, most of the fish in our tanks do not belong in our local waters. Look into the plight of the volitans in the Atlantic.
The first also have parasites and what not that could kill off the indiginous critters in the area.
The most harmful thing you could ever do to this hobby and the ecosystems we harvest from, is to return a fish to the wild.

jazztap10

I agree with Cran.
Most likely, the fish will die, since its (probably) the wrong part of the ocean.
Secondly, adding a foreign animal to a fully developed ecosystem can have SERIOUS and terrible effects. We're dealing with that problem right now where i live, because frogs from south Africa were brought over to be used as pregnancy tests, then ended up in the wild. Almost every native species here is now endangered because of a fungus that was on those frogs. It's astonishing how just a few animals can almost wipe out so many species.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jazztap10
http:///forum/post/3175932
I agree with Cran.
Most likely, the fish will die, since its (probably) the wrong part of the ocean.
Secondly, adding a foreign animal to a fully developed ecosystem can have SERIOUS and terrible effects. We're dealing with that problem right now where i live, because frogs from south Africa were brought over to be used as pregnancy tests, then ended up in the wild. Almost every native species here is now endangered because of a fungus that was on those frogs. It's astonishing how just a few animals can almost wipe out so many species.
I fully agree. NEVER put an animal back into the wild on your own. Most won't make it anyway and the destruction is severe.

E

eric b 125

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/3175935
I fully agree. NEVER put an animal back into the wild on your own. Most won't make it anyway and the destruction is severe.
+1

small triggers

this just reminds me of the evil snakehead fish!!!!
if you cannot find someone to take a fish from you that you can no longer take care of or outgrows your tank (#1 please plan better) It would be in the best interest of your local ecosystem to humanely kill the fish rather than possibly cause a issue for future generations...

ophiura

One of the absolute most irresponsible things that can be done, as a hobbyist, is to release them. :( There are many species introductions that occur this way, with well meaning people creating potentially huge problems (yes, the snakehead is the perfect recent example). Please do not do this. Do not BUY fish that you can not house long term. that is the easiest solution. Research the fish. But never, ever release them, rock, algae, corals or anything to the wild. It is your responsibility, if you can not keep them, to find a different home, or to kill them.
The only time you might be able to do this, is if you are keeping a local tank, with things you ONLY collected locally (rock, substrate, fish, inverts) and nothing introduced from another region. But this is very rare, and even it has implications.

florida joe

I think pet shop is the key. I know people that have tanks set up with local fish they net at the shore line. alto granted not beautiful fish but examples of local fish and sea grass. in that case i believe there is nothing wrong with reintroducing healthy fish back into the ocean

hunt

Originally Posted by calbert0
http:///forum/post/3176099
the State of Illinois is currently poisoning many of their rivers because of Asian carp.
arnt they also trying to put up "fences" near the locks that give off some electrical pulse that annoys the carp enough that they wont cross.
If the carp get into Lake Michigan they will kill off indiginous speacies and just about ruin Michigans $7 million fishing industry. Do you know wich state is doing just about the worst economical wise,...Michigan.

gill again68

Anybody watching the snakes in FL? The Boas are making a go of it down there. I think thats a live issue that you could apply to the releasing of our PETS into the wild.

oceankid

I'm thankful I read this thread. I learned from this. I thought the best way for the fishes to live is to take them back to sea..
Thank you people.

pezenfuego

I hate it when people say that they are going to get a fish that they cannot support long term and then justify it by saying that they upgrade sometime in the future. That is rarely the case. As an avid scout, I have learned that the most important thing you can do in life is to Be Prepared.