PVC Noise

I have alot of noise coming from my overflow to the sump. I drilled three 1/4" holes in the PVC just above the water line and now it sounds like a jacuzzi. Would it run any quieter if I replaced the lines going down from the overflow with Flextubing? It doesnt seem like it would have as loud of an echo and such in the flex tubing. My overflow currently used a durso pipe so I know that should be good. I am not really sure about adjusting it though. HELP anyone?

robchuck

Spa Flex tubing would help quite a bit. How old is your plumbing though? The insides of pipes have a slime build up over time. It usually takes a few weeks for this to get going, but things quiet down a little when the slime coats the inside of the pipes.

sly

If you are getting a glug sound from the drain sucking air then you might try to put a restriction in the tube to slow the water down some. I had this problem with my tank (also a 72 bowfront) and I drilled a hole in a plastic bottle cap and stuck it in my overflow to slow the water down so that it wouldn't suck air. The water fills up just to the point that the weight of it forces through the hole in the cap, but without air. If it fills up the overflow too much then just make the hole bigger until it's right. :)

sly

Originally posted by Kip4130
sounds like a flood waiting to happen

Why? That's what ALL GLASS did from the factory. Except they used a plastic ball to slow the overflow instead of a cap.
I like the cap better because it fits just perfect in the overflow without shifting.

sly

Very true except I have a screen and a filter completely covering the opening.

sly

Possibly but it would build up over time and gradually start to fill the overflow. In which case I'd just clean it.
I only have an inch of water that stands in the overflow. This keeps the drain from pulling air and glugging. I have the old style, not the new style which is just a tube with an air bleed. The old style is clear so you can see what level the water is.

barry cuda

I was able to greatly reduce the noise from my overflow by running some airline tubing down the drain to the sump. Just lower it all the way down, then slowly retract it until the noise stops or diminishes. This helps get a clear, unobstructed path for air to travel down the drain without causing the "glugging" noise.