PVC Piping for Wet-Dry

moraym

I'm setting up a 55g with a store-bought wet-dry filter underneath, and this is my first experience with DIY plumbing. The overflow box and flexible tubing came w/ the filter; for the return I'm using a QuietOne 3000 (600gph @ 4-ft head) and 1" PVC.
- I have attached a diagram of the set-up from the front and from the side.
- I have also attached a pic of the wet-dry and overflow box.
Questions/concerns in the following post.

moraym

(1) My first question is to get any of your thoughts/concerns when looking at the system above.
(2) Also, I wanted to verify that I purchased the right cement for the project (in attached picture).
(3) Any other steps necessary to avoid leaking and/or flooding. I remember from my last tank set-up (5+ years ago) that many on here were suggesting drilling holes somewhere in the loop.
(4) Where can I order (and where in the system would I place) a couple ball-joint valves so I can turn off the system when feeding? Or would I just kill the pump and allow the natural siphon to kick-start the system again?
Thank you all for your help!
FYI, the "restrictor cap" mentioned above just takes the 1" to about 1/2" at the end rather than a hard cap. I'm figuring it'll serve as a make-shift powerhead for any flow remaining after the drilled holes. (restrictor cap to the right in attached image)

scotts

Originally Posted by MorayM
http:///forum/post/2684574
(1) My first question is to get any of your thoughts/concerns when looking at the system above.
Looks good to me. I persoanally would put in a valve between your two 45's you have there. For flow control if needed.
(2) Also, I wanted to verify that I purchased the right cement for the project (in attached picture).
Yep, that stuff will work. You might want to pick up some PVC cutters. Just makes the cutting eaiser.
(3) Any other steps necessary to avoid leaking and/or flooding. I remember from my last tank set-up (5+ years ago) that many on here were suggesting drilling holes somewhere in the loop.
You drill a hole in your piping right above of right below the water line. Then if the power goes out this hole will let air into your plumbing and break thesiphon
(4) Where can I order (and where in the system would I place) a couple ball-joint valves so I can turn off the system when feeding? Or would I just kill the pump and allow the natural siphon to kick-start the system again?
If you want union ball valves you should be able to get them from a plumbing supply shop. Although you could go with just a regular ball vavle if you want to. They should have them at Lowes or Home Depot and run you about $8. Although really turning off your pump or closing a valve when you feed is not really needed and will just be a PITA in the long run.
Thank you all for your help!
FYI, the "restrictor cap" mentioned above just takes the 1" to about 1/2" at the end rather than a hard cap. I'm figuring it'll serve as a make-shift powerhead for any flow remaining after the drilled holes. (restrictor cap to the right in attached image)
Oops it said my message was too short. Should not have typed in the quote area. Also sorry about any typos.

moraym

Thanks for the input, I picked up a ball joint this morning to install as I piece this thing together.