PVC plumbing question!

benihuma

When attaching two pieces of threaded pvc fitments, are you ever able to get them flush so no threads are showing? I used teflon tape and could not get them snug. I maybe a bit weak, but I was also using two wrenches for leverage. There are two spots in my plumbing that have slow leaks, and both are threaded joints. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a cement for threaded joints that makes it easier to screw them together, and then bonds them like pvc cement? Thanks.
Ben

robchuck

I've been in your situation before. In the past I have used plumber's epoxy that I picked up at Menard's. It's a two-part epoxy packaged as one stick. The outside layer of the stick is a putty-like substance, and the reactant was in the center of the tube. You break off a piece to use, then roll it in your hands to mix the epoxy. Bead it around the joint, let it cure and you should have no problems. I've been running my system for awhile now with no problems.

heyoo

I searched dogpile for threaded PCV - and I found an info page from a PVC manufacturer that says most leaks are due to overtightening.
They suggest finger-tightening the connection, and then turning about two full turns more. For anything smaller than 2", they recommended against using a pipe wrench.
Also - pipe dope or teflon tape can be used - but you have to really be careful not to overtighten - due to the lubrication on the threads.
Good luck.

scotts

Ben,
Can you post some pictures, or a diagram of what you have. It is kind of hard to give advice without it. However you may want to look at using slip to slip connections. These are the type of fitting that you glue in and then use a union on both pipes. A union is a fitting that is designed to be broken apart if needed. The union is also much better at sealing the pipe then an ordinary threaded fitting.
I can help you with this if I get more information. e-mail me at Scotts@valex.com
Scott

cbr929

WITH THE THREADED ONE MAKE SURE YOU
PUT THE TAPE ON THE RIGHT WAY OR THAT
WILL CAUSE A LEAK ALSO YOU SHOULD
BE GOING IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS THE
THREADS. TRY THAT AND YOU WILL HAVE NO
PROBLEMS

dreeves

With teflon tape applied properly, there shouldn't be any leaks, barring PVC defects in the threads or anything else like that.

I belive that some threads should still be showing. If no threads are showing, my guess is that you over-tightened. If over-tightened, you must throw away that piece and replace it. I worked in a manufacturing facility and worked with alot of stainless steel and plastic threaded pipe fittings for liquid and high pressure steam. Do not over-tighten, that is worse than not tight enough. You shouldn't need a wrench in most cases. If you do use one, use sparingly and with caution
Good Luck
-Christine
:)

marinerock

HEY BENI....
LIKE CBR SAID....THE TEFLON TAPE SHOULD BE WRAPPED
THE SAME WAY YOU WOULD SCREW THE OTHER FITTING
ONTO THE THREADED END....MEANING...START FROM THE
TOP OF THE THREADS AS YOU WOULD BE SCREWING ON THE
FITTING AND WRAP THE TAPE ONLY ONCE AROUND THE
THREADS,KEEPING THE TEFLON TAPE KINDA TAUT ...YOU CAN OVERLAP A TINY BIT BUT ONLY WRAP THE TAPE ONCE ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF THE THREADS ....YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COVER ALL THE THREADS BY THE TIME THE FITTING IS TIGHT ENOUGH.... PROBABLY AT LEAST HALF THE THREADS WILL BE VISIBLE WHEN THE FITTING IS TIGHT....ONLY HAND TIGHTEN....
BY USING A WRENCH OR SOMETHING ELSE, YOU ARE PROBABLY
STRIPPING THE THREADS AND THAT IS WHY YOU ARE GETTING
THAT LEAK....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK