PVC vs vinyl tubing

rberhow

OK, which did you guys use to connect your overflow to your fuge or sump and back again. Which is better, quieter, easier? Any and all opinions welcome.

ebsochin

I used vinyl tubing for the ease of construction and cleaning. But pvc is good too. As far as quietness, I think they are about the same. I have pvc from my return pump to the tank and the vinyl from my overflows back to the sump. I don't get much noise. Just the hum of the pump.

thangbom

use as much flexible tubing as possible.. it's easier and no sharp turns like.. that means.. no cut back in flow.. also fittings.. but i do think it cuts back on sound .. there is less vibration transfer from softh things.. compared to hard thing..

golfish

PVC from the overflow to the sump and 90% PVC from the pump back to the tank. If you use a little vinyl or spa flex off the pump it will absorb some of the pump vibration.

rberhow

Great suggestions everyone, I appreciate it so much. We have actually changed our plans and are going a different route again. We are setting up the refugium directly beside the DT and running the overflow directly into the fuge, then returning it with the pump. We are hoping to make it a tank for seahorses once it is up and established enough. We have jotted down everyone's suggestions though as we will be setting one up for our 55 gallon after Christmas. THanks again for all the input and would love to hear if anyone sees any potential problems with our new setup.

sleasia

If you use vinyl tubing use metal hose clamps. I tried the plastic clamps and one slipped off and I had a geiser going in my family room since I have a very strong pump. Just a warning.