Pygmy Angel - Generally Reef Safe or Not?

alohami

I know it will depend on the personality of the individual fish, but I'd like to hear what your experience was from those who actually had one.
I would love a pygmy angel, and if it took a nip here or there it wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't excessive. I'm just trying to figure out if the odds are in my favor of finding one that is for the most part reef safe.

anthropo

do you like playing russian roulette cause if so that is pretty much what you'd be doing. i would like to put a pygmy angel in my reef as well but the two angels you might be able to get away with is the lamarks angel and the japanese swallowtail angel.

alohami

Originally Posted by anthropo
do you like playing russian roulette cause if so that is pretty much what you'd be doing. i would like to put a pygmy angel in my reef as well but the two angels you might be able to get away with is the lamarks angel and the japanese swallowtail angel.
Honestly, I don't have much in the way of corals at the moment, but I do intend to have more in the future. I am in the process of upgrading to a 50 and only have a few polyps at the moment.
I understand it is a gamble, but I am just trying to get a general consensus to see if the odds were in favor of one or the other. Say, 8 out of 10 people have had one who nipped a lot, then I wouldn't even try it. However, if 8 out of 10 people say they haven't had a problem, I would be more inclined to giving one a try.
I'm still in the planning stages, and I don't even plan to add one right away anyway. I'm just looking for everyone's experiences.

anthropo

well at my fathers house his polyps were eaten by his coral beauty. i've heard that it's possible to be done but if u do try it make sure it's small polyped corals

seagems

I have a 55 gal and the pygmy angel is doing great- I haven't noticed him eating or destroying our coral. I also have a flame angel in there and I see he will sometimes go after the pygmy, but the pygmy will just go in the LR to hide.

kanicky

FWIW, we don't have corals, but we do have LR and some zoo's, and our Pygmy nips at the algae on the LR and the algae we have on our back wall.

joojoo

I had a pygmy that never touched my coral. Though I didn't have him long... he got stressed to death from my Domino Damsel : /

shogun323

I've been through a couple coral beautys. Both nipped at corals but never did any physical damage. One of the constantly nipped at a feather duster though causing it to never open.

seagems

Originally Posted by shogun323
I've been through a couple coral beautys. Both nipped at corals but never did any physical damage. One of the constantly nipped at a feather duster though causing it to never open.
that is funny you say that because I have a tomato clown (she's huge!) that is hosting our goniopora...I think she's scaring it! It doesn't open up much anymore...lol