pygmy angel not eating well

gio28

I got a pygmy (cherub) angel this week and it is very active in my tank. It tends to dart in and out of the rockwork most of the time and has no trouble standing up for itself against my tail spot blenny. It does pick at the rockwork and also occasionally nips my gorgonian
. I would like to give it a more varied diet, however, it does not seem to be interested in food I give it at all. I've tried algae strips, garlic pellets, cyclopeeze, mysis, and formula 1 frozen. I also soak the food in selcon and/or vita chem and add a little garlic. nothing seems to appease its appetite. at this point i don't know what to do as I know algae and gorgonian polyps aren't going to keep it healthy for long. any ideas? thanks!

mr. limpid

I had a potters angle that started out the same way, keep offering food eventually they will except it. Nipping at the rocks is a good sign its looking for food, getting some from the rock. If you want to try take a small rock or dead coral smear food on it and place it were he nibbles the most at. Note food will quickly flake off of rock so don't over do it.

gio28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///forum/thread/386146/pygmy-angel-not-eating-well#post_3390722
I had a potters angle that started out the same way, keep offering food eventually they will except it. Nipping at the rocks is a good sign its looking for food, getting some from the rock. If you want to try take a small rock or dead coral smear food on it and place it were he nibbles the most at. Note food will quickly flake off of rock so don't over do it.
thanks for replying. It's reassuring to hear that your angel did something similar at first. I noticed today that mine now nibbles on food if it floats really close to it...so I'm sure progress is being made. He spends most of the time in the back behind and rockwork but will swim in and out of holes and come to the front sometimes. I'll try attaching some food to a tiny rock and toss it to the back of the tank.

gio28

problem solved...the angel finally started accepting various types of food. now its diet consists of prime reef and mysis (which are soaked in selcon+vita chem+garlic extreme), cyclopeeze, garlic pellets, and algae.

mr. limpid

there is a frozen food out there that is for butterfly's and angles, it has sponge in it. I forgot the brand name just no it by the description, very good all the fish love it I feed this twice a week.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio28 http:///forum/thread/386146/pygmy-angel-not-eating-well#post_3390766
thanks for replying. It's reassuring to hear that your angel did something similar at first. I noticed today that mine now nibbles on food if it floats really close to it...so I'm sure progress is being made. He spends most of the time in the back behind and rockwork but will swim in and out of holes and come to the front sometimes. I'll try attaching some food to a tiny rock and toss it to the back of the tank.
With the kind of flow a reef has...your angel may have been feeding from what gets pushed in the back anyway. Mine does this and he is the best algae eater I ever had.

snow4life

How long did it take for your angel to eat frozen, I've had mine a couple days and it's doing the same thing.

dolphinfan76

I have a coral beauty angel. It took her about a week for mine to eat frozen. Now like clock work everyday at 4:30 she is swimming at the front of the tank waiting for dinner...

Rsherman

Is there any angel that is safest to put with a Pygmy (cherub) angel, in a 65 gallon tank? That doesn't tear up corals to much.

lmforbis

I think they are all a crap shoot with corals some pick at them some don't. . I have a flame that never touches them but I feed pretty heavy to keep my fish healthy. I'm not sure 2 dwarf Angels would get along though. I have a much larger tank and haven't been willing to risk it and I certainly wouldn't try it in a smaller tank.

Rsherman

Thanks, I will stick with my cherub, he doesn't bother anyone, nice fish, just curious because the flame Angels are so pretty. I won't chance it though, thanks