Pygmy Angel or Flameback?

debbers

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has kept either an Atlantic Pygmy Angel or an African Flameback Angel? I'm considering a dwarf angel and would like input. I also like the Coral Beauty, but both of these stay much smaller (don't want to max out the bioload).
What I'm interested in is their behavior toward tankmates and reef compatibility, since I am going to be adding corals at some point.
Thanks,
~D~
:)

tru conch

i had a little pygmy angel in my 29. he was extremely docile towards his tankmates. he did not bother my corals (soft, lps) at all. they are kinda shy at first, so expect them to retreat when you approach the tank. once they get used to you, they will come out and look at you. all in all a great fish, in fact im looking to get another (mine died during a move).

debbers

Very cool!! There's a LFS by me that has one in now (a pygmy). Maybe I'll look into him!
Thanks for the responses!
~D~

jjboods

They have them here sometimes in the U-Build-It package for $8. That's where I got mine when I won one of the contests.

robn70

I've been having good luck with mine also. He seems to ignore everyone in the tank. Also some what shy. So make sure you have lots of hiding places.

holacanthus

One thing though all angels shoud be added last unless a more aggressive fish is to be added later because a dominant angel, in all genus' except Genicanthus are semi-aggressive to aggressive fish and don't take to new comers very well! The Atlantic Pygmy (Centropyge argi) is rather aggressive in my experiences with them. I also have a question for you, the "African Flameback" you talk about is it Centropyge acanthops or Centropyge aurantonotus? Centropyge acanthops is the African Pygmy Angel and Centropyge aurantonotus is the Brazilian Flameback Angel. Finding out the correct name for the fish you intend on purchasing goes along way in providing the proper captive care and ensuring that you can provide such care for the animal. All Centropyge genus angels need plenty of rockwork, prefferably LR, to graze and browse on thoughout the day! All need a varied diet that includes some marine algaes! I have kept quite a few of these fish in my tanks. I've had a Potter, Flame, Multicolor, Ebili, Lemonpeel, Midnight, and a Half-black! One more thing I find that they are nore likely to pick at corals and other inverts if the inverts are added after the angel has become established. I think that corals and other inverts have to be added before and allowed to becoe established before any angel should be added but thats just my opinion. Good luck with your decision:)

debbers

Centropyge argi is the "Atlantic Pygmy" I was referring to, and as for the "African Flameback Angel" I was referring to Centropyge acanthops. Although more expensive, I would also like info. on the "Brazilian Flameback Angel" (Centropyge aurantonotus) if anyone has any.
All three of these so-called "dwarf" angels are considered to be especially reef-safe, as are the flame angel, Potter's angel, and the Pacific pygmy angel.
By the way, my LR is configured in such a way as to provide many hiding places for the fish. The angel will be the last fish to go in (I had already planned that), but I wasn't planning to add all the corals before adding the fish (maybe some?). Does anyone else have insight on this topic?
~D~

debbers

I suppose that could be true, but according to my research, the fish in my original post *SHOULD* pose a minimal risk in a mini-reef environment.
~D~

drkegel

*SOME* angles are reef safe! I had a flame angel that didn't bother any of my corals! Sadly, he died! Not all flames are reef safe, as posted previously, this seems to vary with the individual fish's "personality"!

holacanthus

DrKegel I was not saying that no angels are reef safe! I was simply stating that no angel dosen't have the ability to start to pick at corals or other inverts even after they have been "model citizens" in reef tanks! I've seen the zooplanctivores, the Genicanthus genus of angels pick at soft corals and a few others! All have the potential, but I too have some angels in reefs right now and if they are bothering anything, it isn't have any detrimential effects. Basically my point was be careful!