Pygmy Angel

jimbonic

My dad just brought home 2 fish for me. Suprised me, lol. Well one of them is a Pygmy Angel. Is that a reef safe fish... and also will it grow to big for a 22 gallon tank? I dont wanna hurt his feelings by returning the fish so please let me know if it will be alright in my 22 gallon reef tank.. thank you!

deepblue68

i have two in my tank which is a reef and it would be a great choice for your tank. there very reef friendly.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No angelfish is 100% reef safe. They like to nip at corals. However, they can be kept. 29 is too small for this fish, but not outrageously too small. If you keep the fish population really down, it may be ok.

R

rockcod5

What about flame angels, I've different opions on them being reef safe.

reefeel

From what I have heard and read, coral beautys are normally fine in a reef tank as long as the are well feed.

fishtails

Of all the dwarf angelfish, the Pygmy Cherub is one of the safest. From what I've heard from other people and seen in person they are reef safe and rarely nip at corals.
On the other hand, the dottyback will become a problem. They are aggressive fish and tend to fend a larger amount of territory. You may want to reconsider him, espically in such a small tank. A better choice would be a Royal Gramma IMHO.
HTH,
Alex