Pygmy Cherub Angel

tanglove

I have been doing a lot of research on this fish and was wondering what everyone thought of it. A lot of sites and LFS say that it is reef safe and would do fine in a community tank with no other angels. What do you all think? I really do want at least one good size fish in my aquarium and the clown fish will grow to the smae size.

cowfishrule

i have one and he's awesome.
eats anything i put in the tank, grazes on algae, swims through and around the corals, but doesnt touch them.
just remember- 1 angel per tank

tanglove

Thanks sooo much....I have been getting a lot of "shouldnts" and it feels good to here a positive comment.

costa13

No matter what kind of angel you get, you are still risking that it may nip at you corals. Some angels may leave corals alone for five years then all of a sudden strat nipping. You can never be sure that your corals are safe with angels around them.

1journeyman

Exactly.
In all fairness, though, that's with practically any fish. For instance, small Hawkfish are labeled "watch with shrimp". I've never had a problem, but it's possible.
There is a potential problem wih Angels. If you really like the fish, and you don't have any expensive corals, try it. If you have a tank full of hundreds (thousands) of dollars of prized corals avoid.

costa13

Totally agree with you journeyman.
Every fish you put in you aquarium is a risk. However sometimes you have to be able to take that risk if like that certain fish enough.

puffer32

The pygmy does not get as large as most dwarf angels. I have one and he is less then 3 inches. He has never bothered a coral, but i watch him closely. Here's a pic of mine, he is alot of fun .

puffer32

Yeah, he's a comical little guy. He is fun to watch dart in and out of rock work peeking at me, fast little bugger.

tanglove

May I ask what else you have in the fish tank with it? I am trying to find some fish I would be able to get to go with him if I get one.

puffer32

I have a perc clown, green clown goby and Randalls goby. He is the biggest and most aggressive fish in the tank, but never bothers anything. He is very active, and needs a larger tank now that he is bigger. Currently in a 15H I planned on putting him in my 150, but he was so tiny i was afraid my larger fish would hurt him so we put him in the QT and turned it into a small reef tank. but i already have a large flame angel in there and am not as confident as i was before about putting the 2 angels together, so we are upgrading to a 30 just for him

I love the way the pygmy moves in the rocks! I want one but I am starting a 20 and want to have corals so I am weary. definately a gorgeous specimen!

reefkprz

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
just remember- 1 angel per tank
the pygmy angel is the exception to this rule but they HAVE to be put in the tank at the same time.

addicted2

I love my cherub angel. lots of personality and always viewable...she just constantly grazes the rock swimming in and out of every crevice there is. Never bullies any of my other fish and absolutely no territorial behavior. here she is! meet *angel baby:

mandarin w

I've had mine for over 4 years. She is so fun, and yes they are a tease. Mine will swim up the front of the tank, and just make faces at me, but if I try to take her picture, she is gone. Now I had her in my tank with an ebidi angle for the longest time. Over 3 years, they got along so well, they were the best of friends. They were always side by side, but the ebidi angel didn't make it during the summer power outage, I think my cherub misses her. But she has nothing to do with any other fish, She wont hang with them, and she doesn't bother them either, very calm and peaceful fish. Mine has never touched a coral either.
But you never know what they will develop a taste for.