pygmy seahosre

fishboy52

i want to order a pair of pygmy seahorses by mail order but i don't want to start another tank i aready have a ten gallon tank with fish (clown, & goby)................. here is my brilliant idea, i used to breed guppies and have this type of plastic hang on breeder box with holes to exchange water.... here's what i'll do, cover the holes with netting so they don't swim out, put lr and ls with some plants (plants will be fake) to resemble a mini tank in another tank, type of deal.......... the breeder box hold 1 gallon and with my research thats inof for a pair of pygmies,
i have a feeling it'll work but since i'm still new to sw i wanted to run it by u guys
seahorse info- captive breed, eating frozen baby brine....
and i'm buying for $17.5 for a pair, is that a fair price
thanks

poniegirl

:notsure: Just MO, but it doesn't sound terribly attractive to have a 1 gallon box in a ten gallon tank.
And the horses wouldn't seem to end up with a fair shake..

alyssia

What else are you going to feed them? Frozen brine has no nutrition value.
And FYI, I've never heard of dwarf seahorses that eat frozen.

fishboy52

i think your right instead of putting a 1gl thing into my tank i going to buy a tank like DeMartini's and build a small tank buy my gigantic ten gallon.
Would this be fine....... since its so small the light that comes with it it 7wtts
and it's 1gl could i put any coral in there that are safe for pygmys

poniegirl

PLEASE do realize that no seahorse, as Allysia has said, will survive on frozen brine shrimp.
I believe dwarf seahorses require fresh hatched LIVE brine, not frozen.
The next thing to consider is the lengths you will need to go to in order to keep the water quality excellent in that small a tank. I don't know personally, I've not had a smaller SW than ten gallons, but I have heard it's difficult at best.
Additionally, your filtration and water flow issues will be, again, difficult at best.
Have you tried any of the seahorse specific sites for dwarf info? Also nano tank forums may have some insight on what you are thinking.
I'm sorry I can't be more positive or helpful.

fishboy52

yes i have done quik a bit of research and there is people out there who had or have a tanks smaller than 10gl includeing me this summer i had a 1 gallon with snail, hermits, and a shrimp and it was stable except for saltility but to help with that i'm going to connect the to tanks together (my 10 and the new one) and as for my 1gl the only reason i broke it done was becouse the seal craked and it was leeking but with the new tank i'm looking at that won't happen.
as for the coral, inverts, plants:
i like these (star=for sure to get):
pipe organ coral
candy cane
hard tube coco worm
mushrooms
ricardea
xenia
zoos
goranian *
duster cluster
cactus plant *
2 cerith snails *
asterina starfish *
i'm haveing a little trouble finding info on if they are pygmy safe so thats were you guys come in
the light that comes with the tank is 7wts and its a 1gl can this support those corals or not.... didn't grasp this concept yes
And to ease the mind of some people out there i will be feeding newly hachted brine every day.......... my sis will help me with that she has pipe fishes and she has to do it too so i don't think she'll mind teaching me
plz help me out... thanks :help:

poniegirl

I have seen nano reefs that size. They amaze me because I know they are very difficult.
You are talking about a ten gallon tank with a one gallon sump? With live fed dwarf seahorses. That is way beyond me.
And not being a reefer, I only recognize a couple of the coral names. Sorry.

teresaq

search seahorse dot org. there are a lot of people there to give you advise on dwarfs. they need a sterile tank. meaning not hydroids-brissles or corals that sting. most set them up with dry rock and dry sand. also use decaped brine shrimp because hydroids can be introduced in the shrimp eggs.

fishboy52

yes i heard that decaped eggs where good so i'm going with those and as for live rock i'm going to use dried live rock not base rock but like acual live rock just dried...... my lfs (petland) is haveing a sale on these $2 a lb and as for live sand i'm going to use agronite sand, not live but it'll seed it's self over time (fine grain) is that going to be okay. :thinking:
now the dreaded topic: live coral, inverts., and plants in a pygmy seahosre tank ............ i'm thinking just, mushrooms, xenia, gorgonian, small colony of those tiny feather dusters (duster cluster), hard tube coco worm, cactus plant, and 2 cerith snails would be it for this tank or would that be over stocked, i would feed the tank newly born brine shrimp (for seahorses and mushrooms) and photoplanton for everything else. But i'm only going to feed the planton like every week and 1/2 and the brine twice a day.
I'm going to vacume every three days and two water changes a week.
would this work

[hr]
> off to do more research

one more thing i'm planning on ordering my ponies from here, can someone tell me if this would be wise I like it becouse it a low price and shipping is also low.
sorry for posting link..
thanks