Q about new aquarium...

shady

hi,do i reall need a bio-fillter and/or a skimmer for a reef tank?
didnt plan how many lbs will i get till now.....so if there is any suggestion with that too....i think it will help.
its a 33 gal.
thnx:)

cboyfan2020

LR and sand will be your bio-filter. 1-2lbs per gallon is fine. you dont HAVE to have a protein skimmer but I highly suggest one.

S

sebae0

i agree with cybo about how much lr and the use of a skimmer i highly recommend. imo bioballs create a nitrate problem in reef tanks and are not necassary. hth

slick

If your a new hobbyist then I would suggest a protien skimmer. It just makes it easier IMO. For your tank I think 35-55 lbs would look nice and give you plenty of bio filtration.

discusking

YOu dont really need one in such a small tank....Just remeber to do water changes and it will turn out fine.

E

elan

i am running a tank without a skimmer and its doing fine.. but, it has only been running for a short period of time and i can see a buildup of biomaterial in my sump... sorta a slimy film on the top.. I can definitely see the benefits of a skimmer and do plan on adding one to my tank in the future.. i suggest one (although i have no experience) and make sure you have a good skimmer.. search the board for some of the problems people have encountered with skimmers so you dont end up making the same mistakes. a skimmer will probably be the main mechanical filtration of your system so you probably want a good one...

shady

ok guys....thanx ...i guess u were really helpfull.....:)
but 1 nore thing plz.....for this tank,how many watts/gal do i need?
thnx again
already found out.....thnx

E

elan

keep in mind, not all watts are equal.. 500 watts of Metal Halides is much stronger than 500 watts of power compacts....
as is one 400 watt MH is stronger than two 250 (500 total) watt MH .