QT essentials

raptor72

I'm putting together equipment so I can start a QT again. I (will) have a 20 gal, heater, HOB filter, cheap led light, and was wondering if I need a skimmer. What else would be essential?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///t/395078/qt-essentials#post_3516732
I'm putting together equipment so I can start a QT again. I (will) have a 20 gal, heater, HOB filter, cheap led light, and was wondering if I need a skimmer. What else would be essential?
You got the basic list.

I like to put a coffee cup or two in a QT tank to give the fish a place to hide. I also use some larger PVC fittings (street elbow) for the same effect. A powerhead is not a bad idea either.
I personally do run a skimmer on my QT setup. I keep mine up and running at all times. But it will not work if you are treating fish with hypo (they don't have fresh water skimmers, it needs saltwater to run correctly).
I am sure you know, but put some filter sponge in your sump or something to get it to start building the beneficial bacteria. Put this in your HOB filter when you start the QT. This should jump start the cycle.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I set up a 20L with an eclipse hood (which included filter and lighting). This worked very well. I added a small powerhead and heater as well. Used fake coral for décor.
The eclipse made it very convenient.

Here's a peak of the inside of the eclipse.

edat

I have a 29 gallon tank, small powerhead for circulation, heater, cheap lighting and a few large PVC elbows for hiding spaces.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///t/395078/qt-essentials#post_3516732

Hi,

There are so many different methods...here is mine.

I don't run a skimmer on a QT, nor a power head. I use an air line, no stone, it moves the water and breaks the surface...Then I use macroalgae, it keeps the parameters perfect. The Caulerpa Prolifera looks like turtle grass that I wrap around the fake decor or PVC pipe, which I use for the fish to hide in and around and it doesn't look like such an eye sore. In the event I have to remove the macros to do hypo or medicate the tank, it's easy to remove because the Caulerpa is on a runner, with a bare bottom tank it doesn't attach to anything, just a little tug and the all of it follows.

I never used a heater either (won't hurt to, I just never did), the ambient heat from the room was enough for such a small tank. Oh and I use a 10g tank.
HOB filter with sponge from the display.
A regular freshwater top with a light.