QT for Hippo Tang

I wanted to get some feedback on the possibility of qt'ing a new hippo tang. I will have a 90 DT for this tang, but my QT is only 20gallons. Am I ok to have this fish in this size QT for a few weeks of QT time?
I have never had a fish that requires such a big tank and wanted to know the rules as far as QT tank size is concerned.
Thanks!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Golgi Aparatus
http:///forum/post/2648883
I wanted to get some feedback on the possibility of qt'ing a new hippo tang. I will have a 90 DT for this tang, but my QT is only 20gallons. Am I ok to have this fish in this size QT for a few weeks of QT time?
I have never had a fish that requires such a big tank and wanted to know the rules as far as QT tank size is concerned.
Thanks!
If the hippo is a juvenile then the 20 is perfectly fine to use.

I have heard alot of people say that those tangs might not be happy in a tank that size, I wanted one also but was worried about 90 being too small for them for any length of time.
I have been QTing a Kole Tang in my 29g for a few weeks and he is fine in the small space. I do frequent water changes though, every other day at least to keep the nitrate down.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Golgi Aparatus
http:///forum/post/2648990
thanks guys. So, what are some thoughts on the size tank required for these fish? Is a 90 too small of a tank for Hippos?
Honestly, it will not be big enough for him as he grows. It will be alright for awhile though if it is lightly stocked. If you have no plans to buy a larger tank then you may want to skip the hippo. I wouldn't even buy it on a "maybe". A Kole would do well in that size though. Hippos are not only open water swimmers, they grow pretty large as well.

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist,the Hippo tang needs plenty of running room so that it may swim without restrictions . In the past,I had a hippo tang in a 75 gallon tank which grew to 10",soon it became very aggressive,so I gave it away to a lfs. Now I have one in my 150 gallon tank with a queen angel,a harlequin tusk,and 3 other tangs,and they're happy together . I feed my tangs plenty of spiralina,seaweed,and marine-a ( hilkari pellets ) soaked in vita-chem for coloration .