QT Maintenance ???

spartanph

I've read through about every post I can fine on Quarantine tanks and would like to know if I'm understanding this correctly.
I am currently cycling a 30 gallon tank for a QT. I have an Aquaclear 50 filter on it, a heater, an aquaclear 30 power head and a basic flourescent light.
I'm going to use it to quarantine new fish as I stock my display. When I'm not using it as a quarantine I plan on keeping the tank up so it can be used as a hospital if needed.
My question is this. Once cycled if I do not have fish in it will moving water from the display to the QT weekly be sufficient to keep the tank cycled?
I've read you can keep a fish in the tank but I don't really care to do that. If the water changes are not enough could I ghost feed?
Thanks for your answers and opinions on this subject.

anonome

I keep my qt up 24/7. When I do water changes in the main tank, I take that water and change into the quarantine tank. This way the two tanks are identical in their readings. When no fish are in there I borrow a few snails from the display to help keep the qt clean. I have never used copper in the qt, this is why I can do this. Remember to change the filter on the Aquaclear fifty after each batch of fish. Hope this helps.

anonome

It should not because you are running the tank continually. Just remember to use some of your main tank to refill. I even run the lights a few hours a day if there are no fish in the tank. This keeps the good bacteria multiplying. I honestly have not a problem doing this(running constantly).