QT question

aiber

I was able to net my yellow tang b/c he is so sick (ICH) that he could barely move. I placed him in my QT. The water quality is not great in my QT but I didn't have a choice. I am using "cure-ick"...
Any comments would be appreciated.
Here is a stupid question:
Can I feed my fish while in the QT?
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are the conditions in your QT?? Please take a look at the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum. Info in that post may help you improve conditions in your QT.
Also, STOP using that medication, and begin using hyposalinity. There is are detailed informational posts, also in the FAQ Thread, on hyposaliniy and ICH. Please read both. If you need further help, post back. We are alway glad to help.

aiber

beth,
0 ammonia
20 nitrites
20 nitrates
ph 7.6
This is my water quality in the QT...I will try hypo beginning tomorrow..
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, those nitrites are at lethal levels, and the pH is way too low. What test kits are you using?
The good news it that with the volume of water changes that you need to do to begin the hyposalinity process you will likely bring those nitrites way down. The cautionary area however, is that exchanging salt water for fresh water will make the pH problem you already have even more dangereous. My recommendation would be to BUFFER you freshwater BEFORE you do the change out to 8.0. That way, the freshwater going in will be adequately buffered and you can slowly raise that pH in your tank.
Remember, several small increments of water changes is best.

aiber

???
How do I buffer the freshwater?
I am using the Aquapharm master test kit....I also use the test strips that I bought at Walmart.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Selifert makes one of the best test kits.
You can use baking soda or a pH buffer that is available at your LFS. Take care to buffer the fresh water before it goes into the fish tank. 8.0-8.2 would be a good target.
Yes, feed your fish.

aiber

I actually already have baking soda. I'll do that ASAP....
I do not know if I understand what "buffer" is? Does it mean to "raise" the PH.....I always thought that baking soda raised the alkalinity...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There was an excellent post/explaination on this subject, I believe posted up by our moderator broomer. See if you can locate it using the search feature. If you can't find it, I'll contact him to see if he can locate it for us.