QT Setup ? How do you set one up?

}phillyfish>

Hello all. Im new to this so please forgive me. I Have a 60 gallon tank set up. It has been set up for a few months and I just had a few new fish die
. This would prob not have happened if I Had a QT set up
. I know now it is a must have in this hobby so that being said I need to get one set up. I just picked up a 10 gallon hexagon and I guess I have to cycle it ? What do you do if you need to get a fish out of your tank right away and it is not set up?
Please let me know what to do . Thank you

}phillyfish>

Thank you for the link! Has some good stuff in there. I had 2 blue and yellow Damsels and 4 four stripe Damsels. I have my clean up crew and 80 lbs of LR. Things were going great and water was good . I went to the LFS and talked to the them and told them what I wanted and they said it would be fine. I went home with 1 $40 Naso Tang 1 $36 Maroon Gold Stripe Clown and 1 $12 Coral banded shrimp. I get them home and acclimate them for 2 hours feed my Damsels in the tank then turn all the lights off and introduce the new guys to the tank. For about 4 days every thing was going well until I saw the one four stripe Damsel bulling one of the smaller four strips. I even heard what sounded like a bark come from the bully when he was chasing. This was new behavior that I have not seen before adding the new fish . The next night I was up in the middle of the night and walked by the tank to see the four stripe almost dead and covered in ick and the really cool Naso Tang with ick dead. So I took them both out and flushed them. The next morning my Coral banded shrimp found dead . I saw my clown with some ick on him and one or two of the other fish so I stared treatment . I have bumped up the temp to 82 and ick treatment. All the fish are eating well but now I see the four stripe bully is messing with the other to four strips and looks like the two four stripes color is fading. THe bully does not mess with the clown or the blue and yellows thou? SO at this point I think if I can get the clown back to health I will be happy but I might just have to get rid of the Damsels. There prob not what got my fish sick it was prob the new ones but who knows . Any thoughts ?

}phillyfish>

I have bumped up the water temp to 82 and 2 times a day im using Chem Marin Stop Parasites . Should I plan on getting rid of the Damsils if there going to be bullys?

gmann1139

Chemical Ich treatments, as a general rule, don't work.
If you want to really treat the ich, I would recommend treating them via hyposalinity, which is the lowering of the tank's salinity down to 1.009 using a refractometer, and holding it there for four weeks, which is long enough for the ich parasite's lifecycle to be broken.
This thread should answer your questions about the Quarantine tank, as well as how to treat for ich.
For future reference, its also a sticky on the top of the Disease Forum.

}phillyfish>

Thank you . I was doing the 82 temp and the Ick treatment for 5 days as the bottle said but I now have a crazy Ammonia prob. So I put the carbon with the ammonia back in the filter and started the AMMO lock . Hope I dont kill everything. I hate putting all this crap in the tank.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by }PhillyFish>
http:///forum/post/2939961
Thank you . I was doing the 82 temp and the Ick treatment for 5 days as the bottle said but I now have a crazy Ammonia prob. So I put the carbon with the ammonia back in the filter and started the AMMO lock . Hope I dont kill everything. I hate putting all this crap in the tank.

If that's the Marineland carbon with Ammonia remover, that's for FW use only. You'll need to take it out.
For stopping an ammonia spike, use Amquel Plus (note the Plus). It converts the ammonia to a less-harmful form.
As far as adding 'stuff' to the tank, I generally try to avoid it, with Amquel Plus being the notable exception. Otherwise you get yourself in a cycle of adding Product B to solve the problem Product A caused.
Start doing the water changes to get your tank down to 1.009. That will help remove the Ammonia as well.

}phillyfish>

Thank you
Your are right ! The guy at the fish store told me this works great use this ! $20.00 for that thing. I will have to try to bring it back . What will that do? Or what did it do to my tank?

}phillyfish>

I did read that part in the boards . Thank you . I still just pissed that I had that zero carb stuff in there . You think it messed things up ?