QT Tank

I understand the need for a QT tank, but there are a few things that are puzzling me.
Do you keep them running year around so you're water is cycled?
If the answer is no... then how do you deal with the cycle and introducing fish and inverts to the tank? In my way of thinking... now your battling the water cycle and possible problems with fish... or maybe the fish were healthy and fine until you stuck them in an uncycled tank.
Please educate me.

shista

some people leave them running all the time, like me, so that you dont have to go through a cycle all the time.. but some set it up whenever they are getting ready to buy something, let it cycle, then do the whole qt process.

If you're going thru the trouble of keeping it running all the time wouldn't you be better off to keep it inhabited vs just a tank of water?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf http:///t/390424/qt-tank#post_3457470
If you're going thru the trouble of keeping it running all the time wouldn't you be better off to keep it inhabited vs just a tank of water?
I usually keep a snail or two in there. I don't treat my QT with copper, so it's not an issue for me to throw a few inverts in when it's not in hypo. The idea behind keeping it running is so that the tank is stable and ready to go if there is an issue and a QT is needed.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf http:///t/390424/qt-tank#post_3457496
LOL... I feel so inadequate

His QT is a 55 and my poor little DT is only going to be a 52.
LOL. I started with a 14G. Got a 40 for 100 complete with live rock/sump/pumps/etc. Got a 155 for free and my 180 stand, canopy and sump was $600. If I hadn't gotten deals, I wouldn't have as many tanks or as large of a tank as I do. I live in an area where there are a lot of people in the hobby, so I'm able to get things for good prices. It doesn't help that my husband and I are both in the hobby, LOL. We just set up an 8G for our baby's room. It's beyond a hobby at this point, we should probably seek out a therapist.

For those of us that have more modest sized DT... what size QT are they normally running. Im limited in space and places to put things.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf http:///t/390424/qt-tank#post_3457532
for the QT... do most just use a regular HOB filter?
I use a hang on the back filter on my larger ones, but even a little sponge filter works. IMO, hang on the backs are easier in the long run and provide better water parameters.

The folks that tear down the QT tank when its not needed... how do they get a cycled tank when it is needed... and or needed quick?

slice

Keep a sponge in the DT sump, 'fuge or somewhere, preferably the sponge from the QT filter. When you need the QT, put that bacteria-laden sponge in the QT filter or somewhere to add a good starting population of bacteria.

kiefers

Howdy.... My QT is a 20 gallon long. I have the HOB filter and heater and basic fish tank lights for fresh water. I do Copper and leave the fish in for 4-6 weeks. I do keep the tank running at all times with the basic sponge and barebottom and two 425 powerheads.
Now, when there are no fish in the system, I typically ghost feed a little everyother day to continue with the normal water parameters. I shut the system down right after I acclimate a fish to my DT (56g). I then do a large waterchange, add more copper and check the parameters. My QT has tap water rather than the R/O because I do more water changes in the QT than my DT.
Now with the cycle, your system is always cycling and recycling. Just continue to feed a little every other day.
Most folks have a QT to fit the size of fish for their system.

So with me running a 52g DT chances are real good I wont have any large fish so a smaller QT is possible. Considering the fish on my wish list... I'd say that either the Flame Angel or Lemonpeel Angle will be the largest fish in the tank.