QT to HT help

mastertech

ok this is were im at......
8 days ago i ran across a great deal on a Powder Brown tang. i got it.
had to set up a QT very fast. cleaned my 29g so you could see yourself. installed established rock, macroalgea, filter media and water. ploped him in.
tank never went through a cycle (new tank cycle that is) now (i was expecting) the tang is starting to get some SPOTS!
questions.
1- is this ick?
2- how can i save the live rock?
3- do i take it out and place it in a bucket for a day and do a water change on it. or two days and do two water changes on it, and then put it back into my DT.
4- is it possible that a fish can defend and completely kill off the parasite w/out treatment?
5- what steps should i take now?
i have a refractometer bakeing soda.
readings in QT as of today.
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
ammon. 0-0.25ppm. (api test kit, a little off? 3 m old)
ph 8.2
salinity 1.023 (started a little low due to the water that the distributors shiped him in)
temp 76

mastertech

oh yea... he eats everything i put in the tank. mysis, brine, brine-spiru mix. macro algae and every frozen food gets kents xtreme garlic.

geoj

I can’t tell from the pic the big light spot looks like a missing scale to me. The other little spots could be Ich but also could be pigment spots so check when the fish is displaying and changing colors to see if the spots change if they do its pigment not Ich.

mastertech

the first pic large white spot was not there yesterday and has texture (raised off body the same distance as the diameter)
the other two spots i pointed out in pic 2 are not so uniform, they almost wave in the water like they are about to fall off.
started lowering the salinity last night just in case. down to 1.021

mastertech

Bump.... getting concerned about keeping the live rock alive and being able to get it back into the DT without contaminating the tank.

al mc

Originally Posted by mastertech
http:///forum/post/3209587
ok this is were im at......
8 days ago i ran across a great deal on a Powder Brown tang. i got it.
had to set up a QT very fast. cleaned my 29g so you could see yourself. installed established rock, macroalgea, filter media and water. ploped him in.
tank never went through a cycle (new tank cycle that is) now (i was expecting) the tang is starting to get some SPOTS!
questions.
1- is this ick? Not sure,but I would assume the worse
2- how can i save the live rock? live rock will be fine
3- do i take it out and place it in a bucket for a day and do a water change on it. or two days and do two water changes on it, and then put it back into my DT.No, if it has been exposed to Ich I would put it through hyposalinity OR keep it in a fallow tank for 4 weeks
4- is it possible that a fish can defend and completely kill off the parasite w/out treatment?IMHO it may be able to survive the attack but it is unlikely that you would eliminate Ich unless you treat for Ich
5- what steps should i take now?What is done is done. I would get ready for some massive water changing and be testing for ammonia/trates and trites at least once a day. If you start to see an ammonia spike then do large water change and/or use some Amquel plus to buy yourself some time. Personally, I would consider hyposalinity in the QT/HT. You will probably lose the macroalgae but and the microscopic 'critters' on the rock but you will not lose the rock's nitrifying bacteria
i have a refractometer bakeing soda.
readings in QT as of today.
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
ammon. 0-0.25ppm. (api test kit, a little off? 3 m old)
ph 8.2
salinity 1.023 (started a little low due to the water that the distributors shiped him in)
temp 76
Just my 2 cents

mastertech

hi Beth. i see you floating around. do you think this is ick?
the spots will disappear with in a 24 hr period but i have differant ones now. only two or 3 a day.