Qt?

jacklax

Ok...If my marriage can survive this hobby...it'll survive anything!
Now...on to my questions. I just bought a long 20 gallon tank...a fluval 3+ canister filter...a heater & thermometer. Is there anything else that I need besides some pvc cover for the fish?
Is this a good set up for a qt?
With regards to cycling the tank...I've had the foam filters for the fluval in the sump of my dt for the past week. I'm still planning on putting a shrimp in my qt though...how long should it take to completely cycle?
Thanks for any advice!

nemo's mom

The cycle can take up to 8 weeks. Do you have a test kit? You're looking for an ammonia spike and a nitrite spike. When the levels are back to 0 you're done cycling....

jacklax

I inherited a 75 gal FOWLR form a relative about 2 months ago. Had to hypo my main tank (didn't have a qt at the time) when an ich outbreak took place after I added a Coral Banded Butterfly. Ended up losing a few fish after that costly error. Sooooo...I've pulled most of my live rock into a rubbermaid tub...and I'm patiently waiting to get things back up and running. Figured I could cycle a qt while I wait. That way I can start adding fish...slowly...once the hypo is done.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I would have gone thru the expense of a canister filter...especailly since it could turn into a nitrate issue. However, they are good for extracting meds, etc. once the QT has been medicated.
I would add a powerhead and heater. If you prefer fake corals, you can do that as well. Look at my 20 gal Long in the FAQ Thread.

jacklax

Hey Beth,
I took a look at your FAQ...and it looks like I may have used the wrong terminology. It appears as if you have one of the Fluval filters/pumps in the qt picture...I got the exact same thing because I had seen that picture. I called it a canister filter...but I think that was the wrong name. I took the filter material and placed it in my sump for a week...will that help with the cycle process? Thanks again for all your help! I've had my tank in hypo since we last spoke...haven't lost anymore fish...and the "survivors" are doing much better. Thanks again!
Jack