quarantine live rock?

chuckstr

Should you quarantine cured live rock when adding it to a 2 1/2 month old tank that already has LR, 4 fish, snails, crabs, mushrooms, polips (sp?), and bubble coral?

phixer

I recommend QTing it for about a week for a close look in a tank with the same water parameters as the display tank to make sure you dont invite anything in that may be hard to remove later on like a Mantis Shrimp or Bristle worms.
Best regards
Phixer

lion_crazz

I, myself, would QT all live rock for now on. Not thinking, I once added "cured" live rock to my tank and within hours, my puffer had velvet all over him. All my water levels were fine and nothing had changed in the tank except the added live rock. No levels spiked, and none of the other fish acted strangely.
Anthony Calfo also is a strong advocate of QTing live rock as well (as can be read on WWM).
Of course, you do not have to do anything special to it with the exception of keeping it heated and putting a powerhead in the container to stir the water. If you QT it properly, any parasites living in the rock will die without a host.

seahorse11

I just found out that its a good idea to QT LR. On a local saltwater website, some people put the corals or LR in a tank and add Fluke-tabs or levamisole to kill off worms. I have seen some pics that have been posted of worms in the QT that had died off after a few days. I am defin going to do this before putting stuff in the main tank.

saltwater8

Ok, what exactly are the "bad things" in/on the uncured LR? And why are they bad?
Are they only bad if you have a reef tank with corals and anemones?
Versus a FOWLR tank?

lion_crazz

well, like I said, I added cured live rock to my tank without proper QT and my puffer got velvet. So in my case, it introduced a parasite.