Quarantine new fish or not?

phatfish

I want to add fish slowly into my 55 gallon tank. I have several sources for fish and so I want to be careful with introducing something into my tank. I was told I should quarantine my new fish for a couple of weeks prior to introduction. I really don’t have space or the resource to have a spare tank to quarantine fish. I have heard of the dip method, where the fish is dipped in a high concentration of medication prior to introduction into a community tank. Is this an effective method or should I go ahead and setup a quarantine tank?

lefty

Quarantine tanks are always a first choice. They don't have to be anything fancy, so you shouldn't have to put out too much extra money for one. :)
-lefty

snipe

QT Tanks can be nothing more than a 10 gallon tank flourcent light filter that came with the tank and a piece of pvc for the fish to hide in. You could use a walmart 10 gallon kit "$50" and get a piece of pvc.

joker_ca

its better to cure a fish in a QT than your main tank. plus do u really want to take the chance of getting your other fish sick your asking for a headace if you dont use a QT
go to petsmart and get a 10g for $10 and small filter for and heater for around $10 each

snipe

But joker that would be $30 and I know you dont have to but you should get lights for it to that would be around $60. You dont have to have lights but it will help to see spots and such on the fish. So the one from walmart may actually be alittle better since you get everything for $49.95.

loopy

okay, settle down........I got the walmart one....all I had to buy was the heater. it works great, haven't had any problems with it and have had a perc clown living there for about 2 weeks cuz it's also 'fish jail'. I'd go for the walmart one. Yep.

joker_ca

goddamit snipe why you trying to make me look bad infront of the newbies

you really dont need a light though, some meds dont respond well to lights like melafix, but im sure he could pick a cheap one up any where

snipe

goddamit snipe why you trying to make me look bad infront of the newbies
Beacuause its fun

I used melafix before the only thing the bottles sais is to take out your filter pads. I have a bottle still it is under my tank somewhere.

big boy69

So how do you go about setting the QT tank up?
Do you have to establish it just like your main tank?
(or do you siphon off water from main tank and fill)
Do you need some kind of bottom in it? (sand, stone etc.)
Do you have to use it like a sump?
Very interested in this.
Please lay it out on the line in tank setup.

snipe

Well the best post on this is by beth. Do a search for "QT" and in the user thing type Beth it is a really good post and covers alot of other stuff as well.

cjason3041

ok... i have had my 55gal tank for 11 mos.... i have 5 fish, all bought at different times... from TRUSTED lfs .... i go there often and look at fish... fresh and salt... look for dead or dying... anyway.. i have never qt my fish.... but i must stress..... i have been lucky... i would recommend it always... i have NEVER qt my fish... fresh or salt... but i have good luck... if you can i recommend you do!!!