quarantine or not to quarantine. that is the question

dbrown9

I have a 75 gal fowler and a 10 gal quarantine. 2 months ago i lost my butterflies to a infection of some sort, white patches. I researched what it was but have forgotten. anyway I have 4 fish arriving today and I need to know whether to quarantine or not.
I did however quarantine the butterflies and treat the 10 gal tank. I have since did a 50% water change, same HOB filter and media.
Is it safe to quarantine these fish in that tank with that media or do i just need to take a chance at putting them straight into the DT????

mr. limpid

First off a 10 gal is to small to QT 4 fish at once, unless your HOB (on that 10gal) is rated for 55gal or bigger. They would die from there own waste. Your DT has no fish in at this moment? And is there invert or pods present? The reason I ask is because if you add them directly into your DT and any of these fish get sick or carry any parasites the treatment you do will effect your inverts in your DT. Also live rock and sand will absorb any meds you add to tank which make them ineffective.

dbrown9

I have 3 fish in the DT now along with live rock and sand.
the HOB is only rated at 10 to 20 gal but I do have a 55 just not up and running.
No Inverts
Makes sense tho.. so what do I do?

mr. limpid

Well get that 55 filled with salt water b4 these new guys arrive. What are you using for filtration on your 75 gal.? Your current fish are all health and doing fine?

dbrown9

its a 30 gal trickle filter. the other 3 fish are doing great. so what about nitrifying bacteria in the new filter tho? it doesnt have time to build

mr. limpid

So the media you have in your existing take out half (I assume bio balls) get a plastic container (with a top) to hold the half you took out. Use a power head with plastic tube connected to it, pump water up to top of container. Drill holes in plastic top, start in center work your way out making spacing closer as you get near edge. Make hole in bottom side of container to fit plastic tube use silicone to seal, gravity will return the water back to 55 gal tank. Build a stand (use scape wood)so container sits above 55 gal tank. If you have any more question you can PM me, I have similar set up on my 10gal QT.

dbrown9

Thanks for the info, altho not needed now. The fish arrived dead as a door nail, froze apparently. But I put that 55 gal HOB on the 10 gal tank and a few bio balls in it. maybe thatll work. Thanks man for the help and info tho. This site is awesome for quick information about saltwater fish and keeping them. Things the average Joe knows nothing about.

mr. limpid

sorry to here about the fish, if you set up the 10gal now follow the same concept of filtration you'll have a great little QT. I have used this same set up for all my new arrivals.

sepulatian

Now that you don't have an immediate situation, it makes sense to set up a QT that will actually work for you. You can put a million gallon filter on that ten gallon, it isn't going to work if you are going to get multiple fish at a time and if you have to treat fish, which was the case with the butterflies. I don't mean to sound rude in any way, but please be sensible. You have the opportunity now to do things the correct way. Set up a 20 long, or similar tank. You can find one on craigs list, or somewhere, I am sure. Use your filter media and maybe a piece of rock to get a good QT set up and running strong. You, and your fish, will be MUCH happier...