Quarantine? Poll

chana

Ok
I am doing it right this time but Honestly its a struggle!
I had my rocks and sand cycling for 6 months in a 260 Gallon.
Didn't have to for 6 months but did (was upset over loosing a lot of fish)

I set up the QT tank and I am waiting for it to cycle. Almost There!
This is like torture for me but I will do it right.
I just wanted to do this poll to see how many people actually use a QT tank as they buy new fish, corals.
1 = Quarantine everything
2 = Quarantine all new Fish
2 = Quarantine when there is a problem
3 = Never Quarantine

t316

Sad to say....but I'm #4. I don't have a QT set up right now so I don't QT anything. With that said, I avoid adding anything that is especially suseptable, such as Tangs. When my tank was newer, I was a hellion on wheels (add anything), but as things become more progressed, it is too much of a risk.

chana

I was the same way then upgraded to a bigger tank
WENT TO FAST and lost it all
Now I am parinoid to add anything!

novahobbies

I quarrantine all my fish, but I have to admit: I've "rushed" quarrantine once or twice, which makes it pretty well useless. One time it bit me in the butt and I had an ich outbreak from a tang I didn't qt long enough....lost the tang, lost a mandarin due to the med I tried, and generally helped myself to a big slice o' humble pie. I've added a couple fish since then, and each one has gone through a full qt period.

btldreef

I started out not quarantining anything because I didn't have the room. Then I got flatworms from a coral I bought. So when we upgraded to a 40G, we used the 14G as a quarantine tank. The only issue was, big chunks of live rock didn't fit into the 14G. And then we got a Xanthid crab in our main tank. It killed so many of my fish!!!!!
So now that I have a 155G, we quarantine EVERYTHING, rock, coral, fish, inverts. Nothing goes straight into my tank, too much money invested and I've read to many horror stories of people losing everything. When you only have one small tank it's hard, but you can create a QT out of a tupperware bucket and IMO, if you can't afford a tupperware bucket, you're in the wrong hobby, LOL.

richl

Definitely #1. I've lost too many fish (and time and $) not to. I also hypo all new fish for 3 weeks while in QT. Entire process takes almost 5 weeks, but it's worth it if sick fish are kept out of the DT

fishyman1

i had these guy come out to do my tank maintenance. it was cheap and fast.. and guess what my fish are still alive.. i work so hard i have no time sometimes to do the nitty gritty work.. but i love to have the tank.. check out there site www.petesfishplace.com

small triggers

i used to quarantine, but i have not and am planning to not add anymore fish. i have the tank if i need it and i always have water made up just incase, I used to leave it up and running but found that i was wasting more water keeping it going.