Quarantine/Tank Help

catfishcity

ok so i have a couple of questions. when my tank is cycling do i do a water change. your qt does need to cycle, right? do i change the water in the qt ever. if so, how much and how often. when i put live rock in my tank, and take out some of the water so that the tank doesnt overflow, can that water be kept in plastic jugs until i need it? do i need to treat RO water with anything before i put it in my aquarium. thanks for all help

geridoc

Originally Posted by catfishcity
http:///forum/post/2750612
ok so i have a couple of questions. when my tank is cycling do i do a water change. your qt does need to cycle, right? do i change the water in the qt ever. if so, how much and how often. when i put live rock in my tank, and take out some of the water so that the tank doesnt overflow, can that water be kept in plastic jugs until i need it? do i need to treat RO water with anything before i put it in my aquarium. thanks for all help
Do not change water in the qt while it cycles. Thereafter, you will only need to change water if the water params get out of line. I often do a 20% change when I am anticipating putting a new inhabitant into quarantine. Do not put live rock into the qt. I use a bare tank with a 4-6" piece of pvc for shelter in the tank. Otherwise, just a heater and filter is all you need. RO water can be used directly for making fresh saltwater, but I prefer RODI for topoff since it lacks any ions at all.

catfishcity

thanks for the reply i answered like all of my questions. all i am going to put in my QT is some pvc, a piece of dead rock, and like 1/4 cup of live sand to provide bacteria for the bio-filter.

jsl

http:///forum/post/2750680
thanks for the reply i answered like all of my questions. all i am going to put in my QT is some pvc, a piece of dead rock, and like 1/4 cup of live sand to provide bacteria for the bio-filter.
Leave your QT bare bottom. It's easier to siphon the bottom of the tank if you get ICH.

C

calvertbill

I know it sounds obvious but never forget that anything wet could carry parasites so have a completely seperate set of water changing equipment for the QT.
A friend of mine brought the ICH parasite into his DT by using the same net to feed live brine to both his QT and his DT!

catfishcity

i have bought everything i need for the QT and marked it with tape so i know which to use in the QT and which to use in the DT. i never got this question answered, can you store premixed saltwater in plastic jugs until u need it.

srfisher17

Use a HOB filter in your QT and keep an extra filter sponge in your main system. After you use your QT, toss the filter sponge (they're cheap). Next time you need the QT, just put in the extra sponge from your DT system and your tank is instantly re-cycled. I don't use LR in my QT; then I don't have to worry about die-off if the tank sits idle. Assuming your main tank always has excellent water conditions; water from that system makes good QT at water change time. When and if you need to change QT water depends on tank size & how much use it gets.
Yes, you can store pre-mixed water.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/2752367
ok thanks. but what do i use to cycle my qt
I like an AquaClear filter. Many HOB power filters use a cartridge that includes a filter pad and cheap carbon. If you need to medicate, you would have to cut it apart and remove the carbon. The AquaClear has a much bigger sponge than most and will last for ever. They come with ceramic media now; but the sponge filter will also hold a good culture of aerobic bacteria. Don't worry about nitrates in the QT; unless you're going to QT corals and other inverts. Use a dead, raw shrimp to cycle as usual; using the sponge instead of LR to colonize bacteria ...see post #8 above.

lilzeus99

Not trying to Hi-Jack the thread, but I'm getting ready to set up a QT, if I store it under my DT in the stand, do I need to put a light in there, or does that matter for fish QT'ing.
Also, wouldn't you want to use water from your DT to drip acclimate the fish in the QT? Cause I know you just can't toss them in...
thanks
shane

srfisher17

Originally Posted by lilzeus99
http:///forum/post/2753353
Not trying to Hi-Jack the thread, but I'm getting ready to set up a QT, if I store it under my DT in the stand, do I need to put a light in there, or does that matter for fish QT'ing.
Also, wouldn't you want to use water from your DT to drip acclimate the fish in the QT? Cause I know you just can't toss them in...
thanks
shane
1.) If it gets enough room light, you really don't need more. I keep my QT on the dark side anyhow; but increase it as time to go into a Dt nears. You can even use a little desk lite or something if you need to.
2.) Yes acclimate; unless you are positive the water in both tanks are almost identical in SG, PH, Temp, etc. Acclimation takes a little time, but is always good insurance

lilzeus99

thanks for your reply, sometimes my questions on here don't seem to get answered...I think its cause I'm a noob....LOL
thanks again
shane

catfishcity

Here is my QT, simple but im sure it will pay off in the end to have it. right now i just have some dead rock, and a sponge filter, and a hood with 2 25watt bulbs in it. im going to put some pvc in it and then a raw shrimp this weekend to start the cycle.

lilzeus99

If you have an already cycled DT, can't you just use some of the water out of the DT durring a water change to fill the QT? Then you only need water in the QT when you have a fish in there? Thanks...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by lilzeus99
http:///forum/post/2753633
If you have an already cycled DT, can't you just use some of the water out of the DT durring a water change to fill the QT? Then you only need water in the QT when you have a fish in there? Thanks...
The water is not really what is "cycled". The filter, LR, substrate, or whatever holds the bacteria that act as your bio-filter is the main component of a cycled tank.. Water from an established tank is no more "cycled' than freshly mixed, new water. That's why I always suggest keeping an extra filter sponge in an active system. Bacteria will colonize the sponge and you then move the sponge, bacteria and all to the new tank. "cycled water" is a very common misconception and I'd suggest you read up on cycling so all this makes sense.
Using the water from a DT is fine, but that won't result in a "cycled tank". But, assuming you keep your DT water healthy, you will have water in your QT that is very similar in PH, SG, etc., to your DT. Also, it saves the mixing and saves a few bucks.