Quarantine?

sigeia

I hear many quarantine new fish for 3-6 weeks!
Question: how large, an aquarium is-needed for a quarantine tank? What kind of filter system is required?

oniel21

Depends on the type of fish, amount of fish, and purpose for quarantine. If your looking to run hypo on all your fish, you'll need a larger tank, but if you're going ot use it to only monitor new comers you can use a smaller one depending on the type of fish. You can use something as simple as a power filter, but you need to monitor levels very closley and perform a lot of water changes.

sigeia

Originally Posted by oniel21
Depends on the type of fish, amount of fish, and purpose for quarantine. If your looking to run hypo on all your fish, you'll need a larger tank, but if you're going ot use it to only monitor new comers you can use a smaller one depending on the type of fish. You can use something as simple as a power filter, but you need to monitor levels very closley and perform a lot of water changes.
I have an empty 10-gallon can this be used as a quarantine tank? Used mainly for new arrivals small triggers or small tangs, only one fish at a time.

angelman

I have a 10, a 20, had a 30 until I broke it and a 55.
The 55 is always running as my son uses it for fish he gets for customers and to store fish for a "snow bird" customer that is here only in winter months.
I say the bigger you can have, the better.
The others I set up at the last minute as needed.
Hang on filter with bio balls from my show tank, a heater if in the winter (I am in Florida so I don't need it other times), paper taped to the bottom of the tank so they don't see below, a rock or two for shelter and that is it for me.
I do a partial water change weekly.

florida joe

Originally Posted by florida joe
The largest you can afford for the space you have available
if its all you can use its still better then your DT you will have to keep a close eye in your water reading if your treating for illness

florida joe

Originally Posted by Sigeia
I have an empty 10-gallon can this be used as a quarantine tank? Used mainly for new arrivals small triggers or small tangs, only one fish at a time.
if its all you can use its still better then your DT you will have to keep a close eye in your water readings if your treating for illness

oniel21

Agreed. 10 may be ok, but you should go bigger, especially if you plan on having a tang in there.
Angelman makes a couple good points, cover the back and bottom of the tank so they don't see their reflection (stress), you'll need a heater and a powerhead.

sigeia

This is what I have come up with. A 29-gallon aquarium with fresh saltwater no-sand or rock, painted flat-black on the bottom, both sides and back. One used Skilter Filter protein skimmer filter combo 250 gallons’ per-hour and heater. One old power-head.
Are quarantine tanks cycled also, if so how?
Thank You-All for the Information!

oniel21

Sounds like you're on the right track! Paint the bottom (outside!) of the tank as well. You'll want to put something in the tank for shelter. I use dead rock from the LFS. Don't use rock that you find laying around outside! You could also use PVC pipe or fake corals. Filtration seems adequate.
Yes, tank does need to be cycled, just as you did with your DT (Display Tank). You could cycle with a raw shrimp or by ghost feeding.
Good luck!

al mc

Many people will also use some old filter material from their DT to help start/cycle the new QT.

tomclx

Quick Question,
when you take the fish out of QT to put into the DT, do you have to acclimate them the same as you would when you bring them home from the LFS?

rudedog40

Originally Posted by oniel21
Sounds like you're on the right track! Paint the bottom (outside!) of the tank as well. You'll want to put something in the tank for shelter. I use dead rock from the LFS. Don't use rock that you find laying around outside! You could also use PVC pipe or fake corals. Filtration seems adequate.
Yes, tank does need to be cycled, just as you did with your DT (Display Tank). You could cycle with a raw shrimp or by ghost feeding.
Good luck!

What's wrong with using a rock from outside? A dead rock is a dead rock. I'm putting a couple of honeycomb rock I have out by my koi pond in my QT. It could eventually become live rock, and when it does, I'll move it into my DT. I figure if I have to keep a second tank running, I might as well get some use out of it.

sepulatian

I have a 20 and a 15 long qt tanks. Nothing, not even rock or snails, go into my display without at least a 3 week qt.

florida joe

Originally Posted by rudedog40
What's wrong with using a rock from outside? A dead rock is a dead rock. I'm putting a couple of honeycomb rock I have out by my koi pond in my QT. It could eventually become live rock, and when it does, I'll move it into my DT. I figure if I have to keep a second tank running, I might as well get some use out of it.
Some volcanic types of rock as well as others you find out side have been implicated in long term chronic poisoning of marine live stock