Quarantineing new purchases

earlybird

Min 3 weeks I believe (?) is the standard, it's what I've been told. It would suck to introduce to the tank to just have to pull him out again.

torno

I have a secret. I rarely if ever quarantine my fish. Most of the ones I add wouldn't make it through. For example, my copperband butterfly is going to fare better overall if I put it directly in the 55 with live rock, live sand, and all kinds of live things for it to get adjusted to eating to, rather than throwing it in a sterile 10 gallon with a PVC pipe. He probably would quickly deteriorate.
Now, I believe in quaranting if the fish is eating at the local fish store and can take the quarantine period being in a sterile tank. I just don't like to see it do more harm than good. Ok end rant.

torno

and I'm curious as to how you would get it through this process, seeing as it's entire diet is copepods/amphipods and one that can't possibly be mimiced in a sterile quarantine tank, unless you're going to manually introduce these things several times daily?

earlybird

You can buy bottled pods or if you grow them in your fuge you can pull them over. It's a pia but worth it in the long run.
Fish can break out in ich a week after purchase. It would suck to have to pull out all your fish to treat them for ich if one comes down with it. Seems sensible to err on the side of precaution.

Mandarins dont get ich. I agree with what most are saying I just dont see some of the more delicate butterflies and such making it 3 to 4 weeks

earlybird

Originally Posted by barngeatbayman
Mandarins dont get ich. I agree with what most are saying I just dont see some of the more delicate butterflies and such making it 3 to 4 weeks
Not to disagree because I have no hands on experience and would like to know. What if a butterfly gets ich, won't you have to remove him anyway to treat?

jenni620

I always quarantine my new fish for three weeks. :joy:
Not to steal the thread, but a good point has been brought up here. How do you quarantine fish that have specific needs? (lawnmower blennies, butterflies, any kind of fish that requires a sandbed, etc...) Lots of different kinds of fish need live rock, or natural algae or a sandbed, so how do you do it in a qt? Just curious.... :happyfish

aztec reef

you don't, they just have to be Quaranteen anyways, they don't have mandarins in reef tanks at the lfs do they? they can do without lr & livesand for 3-4 weeks but they can't do without food so you have to feed it..
$.02

jenni620

well, of course you have to feed them!
lol.. But I guess that makes sense...you're right, they usually don't have sand or rocks at the lfs...Thanks! :happyfish

A LFS that does any sort of decent business doesnt have to worry about having a delicate fish for more than a week or two. Besides any LFS with any sense wouldnt order delicate species without having a buyer given that they dont have the means of maintaining the proper conditions.