Quarantining Hippo Tangs

tsdid

I have a question on quarantining 2 hippo tangs, I bought them from a retailer that treats their tanks with Copper, I have placed them in my quarantine tank and have not added copper. I would like to avoid using copper if necessary, can I just wait to see if ich shows up, and then treat? Im just wandering if these tangs aren't as susceptible to ich since they are tank raised from eggs therefore less stressed?? Will ich definitely show up if its on the fish or in the water?

florida joe

sorry no one answered you sooner whats wrong with these people. You can wait to treat if you want.
Im just wandering if these tangs aren't as susceptible to ich since they are tank raised from eggs therefore less stressed?? Will ich definitely show up if its on the fish or in the water?
Tank raised has nothing to do with it if ick is present it will eventually IMO show up

tsdid

So instead of unnecessary stressing out the fish with copper you would suggest just waiting to see if it shows up. After a month if it doesn't show up am I safe to put them in the tank?

florida joe

Originally Posted by tsdid
http:///forum/post/3275285
So instead of unnecessary stressing out the fish with copper you would suggest just waiting to see if it shows up. After a month if it doesn't show up am I safe to put them in the tank?
you are going to wait 4 weeks IMO go two more to 6 weeks

btwk12

i thought even if the tank had ich present, if the fish had a good immune system and was healthy it wasnt as succeptable to ich

tsdid

Yeah thats why I mentioned they are tank raised, I though they might be a little less stressed out by their environment and moving. I would like to avoid using copper if at all possible because it isn't the greatest for the fish. If it doesnt show up after 4-6 weeks would it be safe to do a fresh water dip and then add them? How do you do a fresh water dip?

tsdid

most places I look they say hippos are pretty compatible with each other, the yellow tangs however are a different story, I was going to do 1 blue hippo and 3 yellows but after further reading and researching I am going to do 2 hippos and 1 yellow at a later date.

flower

Nice, my tank is only 90g. I love my Hippo but I know he will eventually outgrow my tank. I got him when he was the size of my pinky fingernail. He is about 4 inches now., and that electric blue color is so beautiful! The only fish I have half as flashy is my Lemonpeel angel.

tsdid

yeah they are cool. I only have 2 clowns and a pajama in my 180 :). I have some room left to play with. They are very cool fish, as my son says "their cute". I cant wait to add them to my 180. What do you feed yours, and how often?

D

denniscoy420

MAKE sure u if u plan on adding a yellow tang to add them all together or they might fight..... to the main tank
( always add the same species at the same time to avoid losing a fish) because once they are stressed out because of the other tang they WILL get sick..

tsdid

What i have read and everywhere you look its different, is that you always add the yellow tang last of any tang species. thats why i will add two hippos first, then maybe a naso and lastly a yellow

D

denniscoy420

To each there own, But I will tell u that adding them at different times may cause some
trouble, I would add them all then do a water change later that week,
because if u add them different times U should move ur rock work around so that each
fish is a little mess up from the change then u add the another fish
because all fish have there own area in the tank, that they call home...... GL